Salsa: its meaning and pronunciation

yeah, he was born it Butte Montana with the pronunciation "you" lol Sorry MG it had to be done.
Yes, I am familiar with how to pronounce Butte Montana. I hope other Canadians do as well. Considering it's not that far away from the CA border I would hope so. If they even know of it's existence.

You just have to get it back to the topic, so around here, we say “RAH-zodah” for risotto.

Ok, that’s a lie, most of the folks around here have never pronounced that word. :laugh:
You are going to get in trouble because you are supposed to know better than to get led down the primrose path, as a staff member.

I think I would cringe if I heard someone say risotto that way. But maybe it's because of my husband's huge Italian family. His dearly departed grandmother would have probably slapped someone for that!

There are some words in cooking that have a generic meaning in one culture, but mean a rather specific thing in others. Salsa may mean sauce in some cultures, but in mine it's very specifically a cold spicy tomato and pepper based sauce.

By a similar token, naan means bread, but where I live it refers to a very specific kind of bread. "Curry" would be another example.

By a similar token, naan means bread, but where I live it refers to a very specific kind of bread. "Curry" would be another example.
Right, since they have curry leaves that have nothing to do with the spice blend, which I only discovered recently from other forum members.

Salsa.
Wrong bloody language, JAS_OH1; in ITALIAN, salsa means "sauce":laugh::laugh::laugh:
Same as in Spanish, although it doesn´t necessarily mean a Mexican-style sauce. It could be salsa Romesco.
Salsa as in Mexican "salsa" must come from a Merican dictionary.:D:D

We pronounce “about” as “nyear-bouts” or, depending on the usage of the word, “fixin’ to.” :laugh:

Back
Top Bottom