Salsa: its meaning and pronunciation

In Spanish, there are 5 vowel sounds, all of them short. Really short.
"a" as in "cat, bat, hat"
"e" as in "echo, neck, bet"
"i" as in "miss, in, pick"
"o" as in "dock, bond, Oregon"
"U" as in "moo, coo, boo"
But that´s British pronunciation. I´m not even sure the Spanish "o" sound even exists in the US of A. so it´s all a bit confusing.

We pronounce “about” as “nyear-bouts” or, depending on the usage of the word, “fixin’ to.” :laugh:
Yeah, I reckon. I grew up saying "fixin' to" as well. Not "nyear-bouts" though. I know how to speak redneck but not hillbilly!

In Spanish, there are 5 vowel sounds, all of them short. Really short.
"a" as in "cat, bat, hat"
"e" as in "echo, neck, bet"
"i" as in "miss, in, pick"
"o" as in "dock, bond, Oregon"
"U" as in "moo, coo, boo"
But that´s British pronunciation. I´m not even sure the Spanish "o" sound even exists in the US of A. so it´s all a bit confusing.

That pronunciation of "A" is very British, and it drives me nuts when I hear a Brit say "taco."

I live in Texas, and took four semesters of Spanish in college. 39 years after college, I've lost most of what I learned, but I can still pronounce the words, based on the sounds of vowels in Spanish. The fact that I hear Mexicans speaking Spanish EVERYDAY also keeps the sounds fresh in my mind.

A = ah
E = eh
I = ee
O = oh
U = ew

Now, Mexican Spanish is not exactly the same as Spanish in Spain, or in Cuba/Puerto Rico. But, the sounds are consistent. I'm sure it is a bit different in Venezuela, too.

CD

Right, since they have curry leaves that have nothing to do with the spice blend,
Yep, spot on. Curry leaves is probably a (faux) pronunciation of "kari" leaves. Murraya koeniigi is a plant which is used in Indian cuisine but has nothing at all to do with curry powder.
Now, Mexican Spanish is not exactly the same as Spanish in Spain, or in Cuba/Puerto Rico. But, the sounds are consistent. I'm sure it is a bit different in Venezuela, too.
Dead right. All Spànish is pronounced the same as far as the vowel sounds are concerned. They only have 5 sounds - us English-speakin geezers have about 30. I´ve been 41 years in Venezuela, 9 months in Mexico and have visited Colombia, Ecuador, Rep Dominicana, Puerto Rico and Spain.
I was in my home town last week and heard someone attempt to pronounce "Jalapeño"
I said" Why not just call it a green chilly?"

And those two questions, just like "Is salsa alfredo american?" and "does salsa carbonara have cream in it?"...
will never be resolved.😎
Salsa.
Wrong bloody language, JAS_OH1; in ITALIAN, salsa means "sauce":laugh::laugh::laugh:
Same as in Spanish, although it doesn´t necessarily mean a Mexican-style sauce. It could be salsa Romesco.
Salsa as in Mexican "salsa" must come from a Merican dictionary.:D:D

Look, it may very well have happened that in the good ole US of A, someone, somewhere, decided to take jars of these two things, put them in a saucepan, and dump them over a pile of pasta.
1649626691276.png
1649628377907.png

And it could very well have happened in Cincinnati. You spent enough time in that city to know that they have that abomination of what is known as "Cincinnati chili" (which even though after living in Ohio for 22 years, I still cannot fathom). For those unfamiliar, Cincinatti chili is mediocre, bland, slightly sweet and totally-not-spicy chili atop a bed of spaghetti and then covered with a heavy pile of shredded cheddar cheese and sometimes onions as well, like this:
1649627204724.png

Last edited:
This is my idea of salsa. The ingredients are virtually always the same although the proportions may differ.

salsa.jpg
Plus a dash of vinegar, a pinch of sugar and a little salt.

I pronounce it "sol suh".

Eating spring onions with today's chilli pork burger certainly cleared my sinuses. I thought, why not make a salsa with spring onions?

So I did a quick Google and found this:
  • 1 cup (about 3 large) tomatoes, chopped
  • 4 spring onions, finely diced (on diagonal for presentation!)
  • 1 small red onion, chopped
  • ¼ cup chopped fresh coriander (or vary with basil, mint or parsley)
  • ¼ tspn rock salt
  • Coarse ground pepper
  • 2 tblspns lime juice (or lemon if you prefer)
OK, it'll need half a dozen chillies thrown at it but I will give it a go (probably doubling the quantities).

I'm not sure how you finely dice on a diagonal but.....

Back
Top Bottom