Sandwiches around the world

Never tried either spread, but I did try vitamalt once when I was on a job at Walker's Cay in the Bahamas. Not very tasty. The Cubans drink Malta, never tried it.

Reminds me of "murtabak" which I've always considered a sandwich. In the Selangor Club in Kuala Lumpur it was chicken curry encased in two slices of egg omelette.

murtabak2[1].jpg

Reminds me of "murtabak" which I've always considered a sandwich. In the Selangor Club in Kuala Lumpur it was chicken curry encased in two slices of egg omelette.

View attachment 32888
I see your murtabak and raise you one KFC Double-Down:

Yep, that's two deep-fried chicken breasts in place of bread. 😧

They say Inuits have a hundred different words for "snow," and it looks like the British have 100 different words for "bread roll!" :)
lol, more.

I have had no end of issues with this one of the years. Hubby has finally stopped calling them muffins and barm cakes. He grew up with a Pie in barm (literally a pie in a bap). I know them as baps (conventional sized, soft top, floury), stotties (they are roughly 8-12 inches in diameter and usually divided up into wedges), rolls (conventional size, crusty, but never floury with a 'tear' across the top). To me a muffin was something sweet and cake like, a treat, not something that your sandwiches came in... I think the main one I use is bap. A bread roll to me is something oval in shape like a miniature baton in type, crusty and not suitable for sandwiches...

(I was born north of the border, family originate from Wales and Warrington of all places. Hubby and his family are from a little place near to Oldham.)

On the subject of regional sandwiches, I grew up in Texas, but was born in New Jersey, home of quite possibly the most controversial sandwich on the planet. It all centers around a sausage like product that you slice, fry and eat on a bun with theese, and sometimes a fried egg. The Meat is called Taylor Pork Roll. In the North half of NJ, it is called Taylor Ham, and in the South, it is just called Pork Roll.

Now, when I say controversial, we are talking bordering on fist fights.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBq5VuJ_rtA

All over this humble (but delicious) sandwich.

1358448867171.jpeg

CD

On the subject of regional sandwiches, I grew up in Texas, but was born in New Jersey, home of quite possibly the most controversial sandwich on the planet. It all centers around a sausage like product that you slice, fry and eat on a bun with theese, and sometimes a fried egg. The Meat is called Taylor Pork Roll. In the North half of NJ, it is called Taylor Ham, and in the South, it is just called Pork Roll.

That could almost be a fried Spam sarnie. Popular in England when I was a lad.

That could almost be a fried Spam sarnie. Popular in England when I was a lad.

SPAM is similar in flavor, but Pork Roll is firmer -- more like salami in texture. You also buy Pork Roll in the deli, and have it sliced like deli meat -- about 4-5mm thick.

CD

I put "Meadowlea" spread on this sarnie. Top of the first layer, bottom of the second and third layers. Scrape on and scrape off.

Never tried either spread, but I did try vitamalt once when I was on a job at Walker's Cay in the Bahamas. Not very tasty. The Cubans drink Malta, never tried it.

It is probably the same Malta people drink in Puerto Rico. Puerto Rico gets a lot of its flavors from Cuba. I didn't like it.

CD

Back
Top Bottom