Recipe Sardine and Red Pepper Tart

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
6:14 PM
This economical dish uses tinned sardines and makes a lovely light lunch. I char grilled the pepper myself but for a short-cut, use ready prepared from a jar. If at all possible use sardines in spring water (not oil). The oil is apt to soak into the pastry and make it soggy. Make sure that the sardines are well drained. I haven’t given precise quantities because you can make these tarts any size you want. As a guide, for two individual small tarts (10 x 5cm) you will need approx. 200g of sardines and one red pepper.

Ingredients
Puff pastry
Tinned sardines
Wine vinegar
Chilli powder
Salt to taste
Thin strips of char grilled red pepper
Capers
Beaten egg to glaze.

Method
  1. Heat the oven to 180 C
  2. Roll out and the pastry to 1/2 cm thick and cut into a rectangle. With a sharp knife, mark a border approx. 1 cm inside the rectangle (like a picture frame).
  3. Brush the border with beaten egg. Bake for 25 minutes until well risen. Remove the ‘lid’ and excavate any uncooked dough from the pastry case (see below).
  4. Mash the sardines with a dash of wine vinegar, chilli powder and salt, to taste.
  5. Pile the sardine mix into the pastry case and top with strips of pepper and capers.
  6. Return to the oven and cook for 10 minutes.
  7. Serve with salad.
Excavating uncooked pastry:

Back
Top Bottom