Satnav........ How's the weather near you.

that is stupid prices now and I need to get some because the chooks have no access to any greens whilst I'm going to be away and it is the only option they will have for 2 weeks whilst they are not allowed to free range. (they still have access to a very large pen, but have killed all grass long ago).

I expect prices are high then? I think I saw meadow hay for $9 a standard bale the other day.

Russ

Russ

We've been waiting for cooler weather in North Texas. That usually comes with a storm and some rain. The hail tonight was too small to buy me a new roof at the insurance company's expense. We did get a tornado siren serenade. The tornado didn't do much damage and it was a good 15 miles from me. Just another day in paradise.

CD

29°C yesterday.
31°C forecast for today, 33°C for tomorrow, Friday and Saturday. Cold front and storms then due and Sunday back to 18°C. Then we start again...

Poured down last night, trying to clear now, 14?deg c here. Oh for 30 deg, we need sun for the garden. Lawn man was here yesterday morning.

Russ

what was green here, is now very brown. Both my husband and I suspect we have mown the lawn for the last time this season. What water we have stored, is now most likely all we have for the rest of spring and summer together, unless we get caught in a thunderstorm.

The storms at the weekend are minus water - just very high winds (90kph last weekend) and very cold weather. We did get some fog, but no rain.

what was green here, is now very brown. Both my husband and I suspect we have mown the lawn for the last time this season. What water we have stored, is now most likely all we have for the rest of spring and summer together, unless we get caught in a thunderstorm.

The storms at the weekend are minus water - just very high winds (90kph last weekend) and very cold weather. We did get some fog, but no rain.

We get your weather on tv here at night as well. Suns out here ATM.

Russ

Here in Texas, droughts end with a flood, and floods end with a drought. We depend on a network of many man-made lakes/reservoirs for water. They can go from flood stage, to water restriction stage, and back again in the course of a year.

Is that kinda' what you have there?

CD

Here in Texas, droughts end with a flood, and floods end with a drought. We depend on a network of many man-made lakes/reservoirs for water. They can go from flood stage, to water restriction stage, and back again in the course of a year.

Is that kinda' what you have there?

CD
Ish, only at the end of winter all of the dams are empty when they should be full. There are thousands of these all over the place, anywhere and everywhere. They are drinking water drinking all, animals and humans alike.
Tap water rurally is rain water collected from roofs held in completely sealed water tanks. water tanks are everything proof aside from the input and output pipes .
Then there is ground water as in, under three ground level. it's bore water often these traditional wind pumps that bring up ground water from deep below the surface 1 small bucket at a time (so to speak). Typically for animals or gardens, not usually fit to drink.
Otherwise in the mountains there are reservoirs but all are very, very low this year.

We're less than 3 weeks into the fire season and there have already been human deaths from bush fires. It's going to be a bad season. We're at very high (level 3 of 6) already. Last weekend i had the fire lit in our home, literally days ago. Now it's the opposite. Windows, doors and blinds all shut until it goes dark. Keep the heat out and then the cool of night to chill the house for the next day.

We're fortunate not to have water restrictions as such because we're not in a city or town. We're totally off grid for everything except electricity. Broadband is only via satellite. We're too far from anywhere for a physical phone line. So we have our own water restrictions on place year round. All grey water goes onto the garden. It allows me to grow fruit and veg, plus a few flowers. Herbs I try to keep on rain water or at least very clean grey water. The really dirty stuff is for flowers only.

Back
Top Bottom