Recipe Savory Tarragon Infused Pie Crust

JAS_OH1

Forum GOD!
Local time
2:24 AM
I adapted this recipe to make a pie crust for quiche, so it's only the right amount of dough for a bottom crust. If making a savory pie and you wish to make a top crust, simply double the recipe.

Okay, so I am not much of a baker. I haven't baked a from-scratch pie crust in over 30 years! But this turned out better than expected and should be great for making a quiche. I took a nibble...the tarragon is prominent without being overpowering, and it's quite tasty!

Ingredients:
1.25 cups of AP flour
1 tbsp corn starch
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 tsp sugar
1/2 cup of cold butter chunks
3-4 tbsp cold milk
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
2 tbsp chopped tarragon (or other preferred herbs)

Instructions:
Combine Flour, sugar, salt, cornstarch, and preferred herbs.

Mix well, then scatter the butter chunks into the mixture. Press the butter chunks with fingers. Drizzle the milk and apple cider vinegar to combine. Mix with hands for about one minute, forming a ball.

Turn onto a floured work surface with a floured rolling pin. Roll the dough to approximately 1/4" thick. Fold the dough into thirds, then wrap in plastic wrapper and chill for 20-30 minutes.

Pull out the dough and roll again on the work surface to form the pie crust. Pierce the crust with a fork to prevent the crust from bubbling up. Place a piece of parchment paper over the crust and weigh it down to prevent the crust sides from sliding down (I used some rocks). Bake at 400F for about 15 minutes. Remove the weights and bake for an additional 5 minutes or so. Your pie crust is ready to go for your quiche or other savory pastry dish!

Notes: I left the dough light in color since I will be baking it more with quiche ingredients and I anticpate that it will brown more during cooking.

Last edited:
Interesting recipe!
I´m pretty dull when it comes to making quiche pastry ( butter, flour, water, salt), so I´d like to ask you:
1) what does the cornstarch do to the pastry?
2) I´m intrigued by the use of vinegar and milk.
3) How does the tarragon work out? It´s not an easy herb to work with.

Interesting recipe!
I´m pretty dull when it comes to making quiche pastry ( butter, flour, water, salt), so I´d like to ask you:
1) what does the cornstarch do to the pastry?
2) I´m intrigued by the use of vinegar and milk.
3) How does the tarragon work out? It´s not an easy herb to work with.
Thank you for asking. I just recently researched and came to the conclusions myself. I am apparently dull too, I guess! I just compiled different ideas after researching myself and came up with this. Apparently, the milk adds to flavor and the corn starch and ACV add to flakiness of the crust, and it's so true. After just eating that awesome quiche with the tarragon crust about 2 hours ago, I can say it was fantastic! The tarragon was an amazing addition, I am just floored and so pleased. I found the entire recipe so much easier than I ever imagined it would be.

Last edited:
Nice tutorial, very good explained. I've seen recipes with vinegar before, but never tried it and right now I don't have the money for that. One question, as I love crunchy quiche crust and as I'm still a beginner. The only way I know how to make a hard, crunchy crust, is to bake the crust just one level of darkness before black. Do you have more tipps?

Nice tutorial, very good explained. I've seen recipes with vinegar before, but never tried it and right now I don't have the money for that. One question, as I love crunchy quiche crust and as I'm still a beginner. The only way I know how to make a hard, crunchy crust, is to bake the crust just one level of darkness before black. Do you have more tipps?
Hi Pablo! Sorry to say I just got lucky with it. I haven't baked a pie crust from scratch in over 30 years. Butter was helpful in flakiness. The crust was crispy but tender, you know?

I like my crust when it's like a very dry, hard and crunchy cookie and the topping juicy.
I'd say go thicker but cook longer and at a lower temperature. That should give you the texture you want. My crust was dry and it broke easily when cut with a fork, but it was not hard and crunchy.

Back
Top Bottom