Recipe Scalloped Potatoes with Miso

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
9:56 AM
Scalloped potatoes are very easy to make but take a rather long time to cook. To speed up cooking time you can briefly par-boil the sliced potatoes but I prefer to slow cook them from raw because I think they absorb more flavour. They make a very pretty side dish if made individually but can also be made in a larger baking dish. For an individual portion you need a straight sided oven-proof dish or non-stick tin approx. 12cm wide by 6cm deep.

fullsizeoutput_4a9a.jpeg

Ingredients (per individual portion)
1 x medium baking potato, such as Maris Piper
100ml vegetable stock
1 tbsp brown or red miso paste
1 large clove of garlic, very thinly sliced
Vegetable oil

Method
  1. Heat the oven to 170 C (I used a halogen oven).
  2. Slice the potato as thinly as possible (I use a mandolin).
  3. In a small bowl, mix the miso paste with a little water (this makes it easier to brush on).
  4. Layer the potatoes in the dish, using a pastry brush to paint each slice with miso and adding a few slices of garlic between the layers.
  5. When the potatoes reach the top of the dish pour in the stock. It should come to just below the top layer or two of potatoes.
  6. Cover the dish with foil and bake for 1hr 15 mins. Check that the potatoes are cooked through by inserting a small sharp knife.
  7. Brush the top with vegetable oil and return to the oven for 10 minutes to brown the top.

fullsizeoutput_4a5f.jpeg

Last edited:
This looks gorgeous and very tasty

Thanks! It was very tasty - more garlicky than I expected. Its a versatile dish - you could add all sorts of things between the layers. I've made 3 versions of scalloped potatoes in the last week (practising) - one with onions and blue cheese, one with cheddar and this one.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom