Recipe Scallops Wrapped in Bacon.

Yum, I love bacon wrapped scallops, and haven't had them in forever. They're not as easy to obtain down here as back home, the same as clams and lobster, but hopefully I will be able to get some soon.

I love bacon and I also like scallops I did not know that they could go together. This post gave me an idea on what to do with scallops although I am still thinking that they are too delicate for me I am afraid I might char them. Does the scallop turn rubbery when overcooked?

I love bacon and I also like scallops I did not know that they could go together. This post gave me an idea on what to do with scallops although I am still thinking that they are too delicate for me I am afraid I might char them. Does the scallop turn rubbery when overcooked?

Yes they will, and you want to try to avoid that if you can! Otherwise, all that hard work will be for nothing!! :wink: :headshake: :stop:

This is a really popular combination in the UK. Unfortunately, I don't like scallops, but they are an ingredient I always wish I did like. Scallops and peas or scallops and black pudding are also popular combinations here.

Gee, this recipe made me salivate, hahahaaa. I love bacon especially when the fats start to drip. There is one restaurant specializing in barbecue that sells grilled asparagus wrapped in bacon. It took me several times of eating there before I had the guts to order that. And when it was served, the aroma of grilled bacon was truly appetizing. The asparagus was just right to blend with the bacon. So I guess this recipe of yours is just like the same but maybe much better with the scallop.

Yes they will, and you want to try to avoid that if you can! Otherwise, all that hard work will be for nothing!! :wink: :headshake: :stop:
I am not sure how much scallop costs I think they are expensive are they? If that would be the case then I would be very careful not to burn or overcook them. I thought they were tentacles of octopus but to be honest I still do not know where they come from or what they are.

I am not sure how much scallop costs I think they are expensive are they? If that would be the case then I would be very careful not to burn or overcook them. I thought they were tentacles of octopus but to be honest I still do not know where they come from or what they are.

They are a shellfish. You have probably seen scallop shells.

shell.jpg

Yes I have seen a shell like that before but I did not suspect that this is the same scallop we are talking about. Thanks for attaching a photo of it I do appreciate it.
And here is how they look in the shell. The orange part is the roe, which is often not included in scallop recipes.
Scallop shell open clip.jpg

They are quite expensive - costing up to about $17 a pound!!

I try to catch them on sale when they are several dollars less. :wink:

They are quite expensive - costing up to about $17 a pound!!

I try to catch them on sale when they are several dollars less. :wink:

True, they are expensive but if you are serving them as a starter one or two per person is fine, so it doesn't work out quite as expensive as it seems.

True, they are expensive but if you are serving them as a starter one or two per person is fine, so it doesn't work out quite as expensive as it seems.

My 11-year-old grand nephew devours about 8 or nine of them!!
That is why I have to get at least 3lbs of them at a time and cook them all. He loves them to death!! He just can't seem to get enough of them!
Actually, we ALL do! The very first time that I did them, they came out so good!! :wink:

Oh man bacon is good with anything even scallops. That picture is really mouthwatering. I've been thinking about how I can add shrimp and bacon in my recipes for appetizers too I think wrapping them will make the shrimp lose it's beauty I'm thinking of maybe skewering it and barbecuing the shrimp, bacon and some other vegetables and make a party out of it. Great recipe!

That looks lovely. You said the orange part is a roe is that also the egg just like the crabs they also have that color in them. I had tasted that orange fatty thing on a crab and I liked it.
Yes, they are made up of lots of eggs. They have a more subtle taste than the white part (and that's quite subtle anyway!). They cook more quickly - a few seconds. So its best to cook them separately or throw them in the pan at the end of cooking.

Back
Top Bottom