The Late Night Gourmet

Home kook
Staff member
Local time
1:05 PM
Website
absolute0cooking.com
img_3743-jpeg.jpg

Strangely enough, the words in parentheses are NOT part of the official lyrics to Simon and Garfunkle's song, but I think they're implied:

“Are you going to Scarborough Fair? /
“Parsley (in the pasta dough), sage (in the butter), rosemary and thyme (in the mushroom sauce).”

Because this recipe produces something with a fried egg in the middle of it, it feels a bit like breakfast. That's totally okay with me, but what this means is that what you choose to put on top of it doesn't necessarily match what you expect in an Italian pasta dish (i.e., red sauce would be weird, but maybe an alfredo sauce would work). Mushroom and garlic work with anything savory, so I decided to top them with that.

Pasta Dough Ingredients

1 cup 00 flour
2 eggs
1 tablespoon of olive oil, plus more as needed
1 tablespoon dried parsley
1 teaspoon smoked paprika

Topping Ingredients

4 tablespoons butter, plus more if needed
2 tablespoons garlic, grated
8 ounces portabello mushrooms, chopped
1/2 teaspoon rosemary, crushed
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon of salt, adjusted to taste

Assembly Ingredients

12 eggs
4 tablespoons of butter, plus more if needed
1 teaspoon dried sage
1 cup brussels sprouts, chopped
1 tablespoon bacon grease or oil
1/2 teaspoon of salt, adjusted to taste

Directions

1. Whisk dry ingredients together. Beat eggs. Use a mixer with dough hooks to blend ingredints together, scraping ths sides as needed with a spatula.

img_3733-jpeg.jpg

2. Mix until just combined, then turn the dough out onto a well-floured surface. Knead the dough until fully combined and slightly sticky. Add some olive oil if needed. Roll into a ball, wrap in plastic wrap, then refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.

img_3734-jpeg.jpg

3. Melt bacon grease in a pan. Add chopped brussels sprouts. Add salt to taste. Cook until softened, then set aside, allowing it to cool to room temperature.

4. Divide dough into quarters. Start with one, and wrap the others in plastic wrap to prevent drying. Roll the dough as flat as possible with a rolling pin, then feed the pasta through a pasta roller. Roll through, gradually making the dough thinner and thinner, until it reaches the desired thickness. Fold over any ragged edges as you roll it through so they smooth out.

IMG_3736.jpeg

5. Use a large ring mold to cut the dough into 6 discs. Yes, I know there's a dent in my ring mold, so the shape isn't a perfect circle. :laugh: Arrange the fried brussels sprouts in a ring, leaving a gap around the outside: this will be used to help protect the egg yolk, and hold it in place. Separate the yolk from the egg, but save the egg white. Carefully place the egg yolk in the brussels sprouts ring.

IMG_3737.jpeg

6. Wet the edges of the pasta disc with egg white. Place a pasta disc to cover the egg. Press the edges down with your fingers, then use a fork around the edges to seal the ravioli.

IMG_3738.jpeg

7. Repeat steps 4-6 for remaining dough and egg yolks.

8. Bring a pot of water to a boil. Don't overcrowd the pan (I boiled 3 at a time). Cook for 2 minutes...NO MORE. If you cook much longer than that, you'll end up with a hardboiled egg. Use a skimmer to scoop the ravioli out, and place on a drying rack. Repeat for remaining ravioli.

IMG_3740.jpeg

9. While the ravioli boils, melt 4 tablespoons of butter in a pan. Sautee garlic until slightly browned, about 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add chopped mushrooms, stirring to release the moisture and integrate with the garlic and butter. Once softened, add rosemary and thyme. Add salt to taste. Keep warm while performing the next step.

IMG_3742.jpeg

10. Melt remaining butter in a pan and stir in sage. Add ravioli just long enough to brown both sides. Repeat for remaining ravioli.

IMG_3741.jpeg

11. Serve by placing ravioli on a plate, and top with the mushroom topping.

Back
Top Bottom