Scone Blasphemy

Reading this thread, I’m not thinking about scones, cream, or jam. I’m thinking about this song. I recall thinking when the song was released how funny it was that XTC thought the world was football-shaped or biscuit-shaped.

Then, I learned that Brits and Americans have different terms for things.

Last edited:
I've always thought that the word blasphemy was used to describe something that's digusting or something that's said out of line. :scratchhead:

Last edited:
Oh yes, the cream first v jam first dispute is more deep rooted than the red sauce v brown sauce war.

By the way, it's jam first, anyone who disagrees will be blocked.
i don't generally LIKE jam, so it doesn't go on at all. (Too sweet for me.)

I honestly don't remember how I ate my scones in the UK. I don't eat them here -- not readily available. I eat my American biscuits with butter and honey. American biscuits are probably as close as you get to scones as a readily available item over here. Our biscuits and your scones are different, but both good -- if you have an open mind to change.

CD

I thought that the word blasphemy was used to describe something that's digusting or something that's said out of line. :scratchhead:
Well, putting your jam and cream on in the wrong order is disgusting and out of line!

I remember watching an episode of Rick Steves going around Cornwall, so of course, he did a little spot talking about scones and cream teas, which ended with the friendly warning to remember the proper order of things, then taking a big bite of it all.

At the end of every episode, while the credits roll by, they show outtakes, and one was the continuation of that scene, where as soon as they had the shot, he immediately dropped his TV smile, made a "disgusting" face, and handed the scone over to one of his crew and said something like, "Here, I'm not eating this thing!" :laugh:

Well, putting your jam and cream on in the wrong order is disgusting and out of line!

I remember watching an episode of Rick Steves going around Cornwall, so of course, he did a little spot talking about scones and cream teas, which ended with the friendly warning to remember the proper order of things, then taking a big bite of it all.

At the end of every episode, while the credits roll by, they show outtakes, and one was the continuation of that scene, where as soon as they had the shot, he immediately dropped his TV smile, made a "disgusting" face, and handed the scone over to one of his crew and said something like, "Here, I'm not eating this thing!" :laugh:

I know that there are people who take the cream/jam jam/cream question seriously, but to me it feels like this:

main-qimg-ad950786ef45ca18655c159e8d3ec2c3.png

You are taking in the same exact thing with each bite, regardless of whether the cream goes on first or the jam goes on first. If you were blindfolded, how would you even know?

Tradition must be a powerful thing indeed. I'm sure I'm going to get in trouble for saying this. :laugh:

I don't eat scones. They are supposed to be similar in taste & texture to biscuits, But I was never jumping up & clicking my heels for them. Biscuits & muffins, yes. :whistling:

It's scone as in 'gone' and it's cream first :laugh: haters gonna hate :hyper:

In the Netherlands we have the same kind of debate, half of the population says 'patat' when they mean fries, and the other half says 'friet' which also means fries. There's a continous discussion of who is right. I just call it 'frietpatat' :laugh:

A storm in a teacup. Jam first, butter first, cream first; not really an issue, unless you´re a pedant with too much time on your hands:laugh::laugh:
Once you take the first bite, it´s all mixed up anyway! And it´s not as if there´s anything missing; scone, jam, butter, cream.
BTW - scones and biscuits have exactly the same ingredients - so what´s the difference, apart from 4,200 miles?

BTW - scones and biscuits have exactly the same ingredients - so what´s the difference, apart from 4,200 miles?
As a lover, eater, and baker if both, they are not the same. In short, from an article at Allrecipes:

"Southern biscuits have more butter and acidity (from the buttermilk), making them extra fluffy and flaky. While scones rely on richer, denser, ingredients like heavy cream and eggs to get a sturdy, yet crumbly, pastry."

I prefer to make it even simpler: grab your favorite British scone, put some sausage gravy on it, take a bite, and come back and tell me again how scones and (American) biscuits are the same thing. :headshake:

Reading this thread, I’m not thinking about scones, cream, or jam. I’m thinking about this song. I recall thinking when the song was released how funny it was that XTC thought the world was football-shaped or biscuit-shaped.

Then, I learned that Brits and Americans have different terms for things.

:headphone:

Back
Top Bottom