Sea Salt vs. Himalayan Pink Salt

flyinglentris

Disabled and Retired Veteran
Local time
2:03 AM
OK, I don't normally use salt and don't currently have any, but sea salt keeps turning up as something to add to stuff and I've decided to get some. Afteall, it's no biggee at $1.98 USD for 20 Oz. from Morton Salt.

But hey, what the heck is Himalayan pink salt and how does it compare?

I adore my Hawaiian Sea Salt!

hawaiian sea salt.jpg

I have a Salt Cellar filled with the stuff on the kitchen counter next to the stove
AND
a Salt Mill on the table with the same Salt in it.

We don't really use very much Salt, but when we do, it's this brand.
This little 2 pound bag can last us a good long time.

Currently I don't understand the deal about good salt. I understand, that expensive salt stands for higher production standard, fair paid workers, in the case of Himalayan salt a variety of minerals and different structures. But whenever I buy some expensive salt I get the feeling to drive a fancy sports car I shouldn't drive, because I'm not a person for a fancy sports car. I may understand it in the future.

Himalayan pink salt is a finishing salt. You don't actually cook with it, you sprinkle it on top of finished foods right before serving.

Someone gave me a bottle of it. I think I used it once.

CD

We have iodised salt, rough sea salt, fleur de sel and Himalayan rock salt.

I have no idea why.

We do not have Kosher salt.

Last edited:
I adore my Hawaiian Sea Salt!

View attachment 76206

I have a Salt Cellar filled with the stuff on the kitchen counter next to the stove
AND
a Salt Mill on the table with the same Salt in it.

We don't really use very much Salt, but when we do, it's this brand.
This little 2 pound bag can last us a good long time.

As PabloLerntKochen points out, that is 'fancy sportscar salt'. I googled for it and it was much more expensive than the $1.98 Morton sea salt.

Currently I don't understand the deal about good salt. I understand, that expensive salt stands for higher production standard, fair paid workers, in the case of Himalayan salt a variety of minerals and different structures. But whenever I buy some expensive salt I get the feeling to drive a fancy sports car I shouldn't drive, because I'm not a person for a fancy sports car. I may understand it in the future.

Extra minerals and different structures? But what is the taste difference?

It's a salt from Pakistan and the trace minerals in the salt make it look pink. I use it quite a bit lately for my everyday cooking because I have quite a bit of it at the moment,, but normally I use a kosher salt. My finishing salts are normally Maldon or a Fleur De Sel which both are sea salts one from England and the other from France.

Salt is a journey in cooking and it's certainly nuanced so it may become more apparent in the future like you say.

Extra minerals and different structures? But what is the taste difference?
It depends on how cautious you're eating, but some people can taste one or two dimensions more than others. The structure is very important, some salts sprinkled over steaks can make the steak feel like a sensation.

It depends on how cautious you're eating, but some people can taste one or two dimensions more than others. The structure is very important, some salts sprinkled over steaks can make the steak feel like a sensation.

Recently I've been seasoning my steaks with rough ground black pepper and fleur de sel. Approximately 3 hours before they go in the pan. The steaks have been exceptionally tasty but whether that's the seasoning or the beef itself is difficult to ascertain.

Perhaps a specific thread addressing steak seasoning would be informative?

Himalayan pink salt is a finishing salt. You don't actually cook with it, you sprinkle it on top of finished foods right before serving.

Then I've been doing things wrong! I've often used it in cooking. I honestly think you can use it both ways - its salt, after all. It can by expensive so I suppose it might be that which might deter people from using it in everyday cooking.

It's a salt from Pakistan and the trace minerals in the salt make it look pink. I use it quite a bit lately for my everyday cooking because I have quite a bit of it at the moment,, but normally I use a kosher salt. My finishing salts are normally Maldon or a Fleur De Sel which both are sea salts one from England and the other from France.

I think there are definitely (quite subtle) taste differences between salts but they are difficult to put into words.

I think there are definitely (quite subtle) taste differences between salts but they are difficult to put into words.
Absolutely. Using salt for balance and bringing out the subtle flavors in foods in general, like chocolate cake for example, I like using that example lol or just blanched carrots. It's the finishing salts that can have a more lasting impression for the individual. Size of the grain of a finishing salt and it's shape can be impressive and personally I find for example that Fleur De Sel from Camargue has a slight citrus element to it.

Back
Top Bottom