Sea Salt vs. Himalayan Pink Salt

All salts are not equal. Common table salt has finer crystals than sea salt and himalayan pink salt and therefore, you need less. How much less? How much of one salt has the same effect as another? Beats me.

This is one of many cooking myths: "All salts are equal."
Pretty much a repeat of what caseydog said earlier in the thread, didn't you read his post?

The Himalayan pink salt I have is a very course grain, and quite hard. It doesn't seem like a good choice for cooking. Not to mention the price -- not practical for cooking.

CD
I use mine for cooking and finishing both. I didn't think it was terribly expensive. I guess compared to regular table salt, which I don't buy. I like Himalayan pink salt and sea salt both

Myth busters Most "salt" is over 95% sodium chloride. Some have environmental "assets" (like a sea full of seaweed, or an intense tropical climate) which affect the flavour to a small percent. The salt I buy from Pampatar always seems more "intense" to me, but I sometimes wonder whether this is just me trying to add value to the salt!
Hahaha, that doesn't surprise me. Cheers.

Himalayan pink salt has been made popular here in Portugal by some pseudo-nutritionists. Real doctors have come forward saying it has no advantages over regular sea salt and it carries a hefty price tag.

Personally I never bought it, but I use fleur de sal for salads and finishing, despite the fancy name fleur de sal is easy to find here in Portugal, more expensive than regular table salt but still affordable.

Pretty much a repeat of what caseydog said earlier in the thread, didn't you read his post?
It comes down to semantics, they're the same but different. Same it the context that they're all mostly NaCI but different sizes will effect the response we get from our taste receptors.

The distribution of salts across our taste receptors will elicit different responses. For example a slice of meat with a slight dusting of fine sea salt where it's distributed equally across our receptors will elicit an overall salt taste, which is generally the accepted rule and well understood and in that sense we then interpret a food to be salted to your taste which can vary a lot. My basic rule of thumb is, if you taste salt, then too much was used.

On the flip side if we use say a Maldon sea salt, which have very erratic sized and shaped crystals and using the pinch method distributed lightly across the same piece of meat, the size of an individual grain and the overall distribution density (very few overall grains of actual salt but equal to the fine sea salt) when coming into contact with our taste receptors will be quite different and a more targeted response happens. You might get a receptor response back and to one side of the tongue while at the same time 2 or more other responses from vastly different areas of the tongue. It's hard to put into words the effect this has but finishing salt isn't going away any time soon. Cheers.

I'm not sure about the "dispenser" that this pink Himalayan is sold in.

Are you sure the lid isn't a built in grinder?

It's very well disguised if it is.

I guess it's just a standard spice bottle with standard lid. For whatever happens to be on the conveyor belt today.

Are you sure the lid isn't a built in grinder?
I personally have never seen rock salt from any particular Country where there wasn't a built in grinder, but that's not to say there isn't any. I suspect if there is, salt therefore isn't a high priority in their business model or that salt is even high on any priorized list, but that's just my opinion based on the model of supply and demand that's says if I can't get the salt out of this shaker then I probably won't be buying it again if i now have to go out and buy a salt grinder to actually use the salt.

Back
Top Bottom