Sea Salt vs. Himalayan Pink Salt

I´ve used Himalayan pink salt for both cooking and finishing. I really don´t see or taste much difference. It´s 99% NaCl - sodium chloride with a few trace elements, probably like most other salt. It´s sea salt - but about 600,000,000 years old:cool:. I suppose if you tried salt from Zipaquirá, near Bogotá in Colombia, you´d get something similar.
When I can get hold of it, I use salt from Pampatar ("The village of salt") which I can buy in 10kg sacks from the people in the village. It comes straight off the salt flats; no added minerals, iodine, fluor or other stuff to "make it flow".
I can definitely taste iodine and fluor when it´s there and I find it unpleasant.
so if all salt is really 99% sodium chloride - why do we pay top dollar for Himalayan, fleur du sel, Hawaiian black salt, etc?
Because they´re trendy. They´re still salt!

I like using sea salt and kosher salt, but the pink salt is a bit of a gimmick. What is interesting with the pink salt, however, is the pink salt BLOCKS, now that is a very interesting way to cook:
himalayan-salt-plate-o.jpg

Anyone do this kind of cooking?

I like using sea salt and kosher salt, but the pink salt is a bit of a gimmick. What is interesting with the pink salt, however, is the pink salt BLOCKS, now that is a very interesting way to cook:
View attachment 76225
Anyone do this kind of cooking?

I certainly know about it but haven't ever tried it.

so if all salt is really 99% sodium chloride - why do we pay top dollar for Himalayan, fleur du sel, Hawaiian black salt, etc?

There is one salt that is definitely very different and that is Indian black salt: kala namak. Its a rock salt mainly used in Indian cuisine. Once tried never forgotten! It can be put to great use in very small amounts.

Then I've been doing things wrong! I've often used it in cooking. I honestly think you can use it both ways - its salt, after all. It can by expensive so I suppose it might be that which might deter people from using it in everyday cooking.

The Himalayan pink salt I have is a very course grain, and quite hard. It doesn't seem like a good choice for cooking. Not to mention the price -- not practical for cooking.

CD

As I enjoyed a lot of of fantasy related stuff like books, movies or games, the colour of the different types of salt is what attracts me the most.

These pink salt stones for cooking are like magic, I've heard.

There is one salt that is definitely very different and that is Indian black salt: kala namak.
Absolutely; it ´s got a very distinctive, sulphurous taste, like eggs. Use in chaat masala or tamarind (Imli) chutney for dipping. Love the stuff, but a little goes a long way. I´ve had an 8oz packet since 2013!

I dont remember what kind it is, but i have some white salt that is triangular crystals. You wouldn't want to use it for anything but finishing because it was $$. It's in a fancy little tin that hopefully is packed away in 1 of the spice boxes because it's not out on the counter. Anyway it has a very clean, fresh salty taste, but not overwhelmingly salty. It's different enough that i remember the taste. Don't know why i don't use it more often.

We have pink salt and truffled sea salt, which i don't use enough of either.

As I enjoyed a lot of of fantasy related stuff like books, movies or games, the colour of the different types of salt is what attracts me the most.

These pink salt stones for cooking are like magic, I've heard.
I´ve used Himalayan pink salt for both cooking and finishing. I really don´t see or taste much difference. It´s 99% NaCl - sodium chloride with a few trace elements, probably like most other salt. It´s sea salt - but about 600,000,000 years old:cool:. I suppose if you tried salt from Zipaquirá, near Bogotá in Colombia, you´d get something similar.
When I can get hold of it, I use salt from Pampatar ("The village of salt") which I can buy in 10kg sacks from the people in the village. It comes straight off the salt flats; no added minerals, iodine, fluor or other stuff to "make it flow".
I can definitely taste iodine and fluor when it´s there and I find it unpleasant.
Himalayan sea salt is around 86% sodium chloride with the rest trace minerals. It has I find a distinctive taste and I use it at home quite a bit. I was given some pink salt from Bolivia but don't know much about it. Cheers.

Himalayan sea salt is around 86% sodium chloride with the rest trace minerals. It has I find a distinctive taste and I use it at home quite a bit. I was given some pink salt from Bolivia but don't know much about it. Cheers.
Myth busters Most "salt" is over 95% sodium chloride. Some have environmental "assets" (like a sea full of seaweed, or an intense tropical climate) which affect the flavour to a small percent. The salt I buy from Pampatar always seems more "intense" to me, but I sometimes wonder whether this is just me trying to add value to the salt!

Myth busters Most "salt" is over 95% sodium chloride. Some have environmental "assets" (like a sea full of seaweed, or an intense tropical climate) which affect the flavour to a small percent. The salt I buy from Pampatar always seems more "intense" to me, but I sometimes wonder whether this is just me trying to add value to the salt!

Keep in mind that, as I'm sure you know, you have to adjust measurements between different kinds of salt. But, that is due to density. For example, if something calls for a teaspoon of Kosher salt, you will want to use a smaller amount of fine ground sea salt, because there is more air in a teaspoon of Kosher salt than a teaspoon of fine salt.

I believe there is a chart posted on the forum showing the equivalents of various salts.

CD

All salts are not equal. Common table salt has finer crystals than sea salt and himalayan pink salt and therefore, you need less. How much less? How much of one salt has the same effect as another? Beats me.

This is one of many cooking myths: "All salts are equal."

I learned a pretty easy technique to salt something right. Whenever you don't know how much salt you have to add or you don't have the same salt as in the recipe, start with a small dose, try the food and just add some more if you want. Nowadays it's better to eat something with less salt, than your taste buds would like to have, because we are raised with way to much salt in our food.

Back
Top Bottom