Recipe 'See in the Dark' Chocolate Torte

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
8:35 AM
DSCF2401.JPG

Ok. I finally got on the 'vegetables in cakes' bandwagon (thanks mainly to @classic33). I had to experiment a lot, but here's my kind of carrot cake - I called it 'see in the dark' because of the old saying 'carrots help you see in the dark'. But its also got a nice white topping to make it easy to spot on a dark evening.

Ingredients

2 medium carrots, boiled and pureed (I used a stick blender).
150 grams 70% dark chocolate
2 Tbsp golden syrup or maple syrup
25g/¼ cup cocoa powder
60g/½ cup ground almonds (almond flour)
1 tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
White chocolate, to decorate

Method:
  • Heat oven to180C/350F
  • Grease a 9 inch baking tin or flan dish or round flan dish and line the base a sheet of baking paper.
  • Melt 150 grams of chocolate (I use the microwave).
  • Combine the cocoa powder, ground almonds, baking powder and salt in a bowl.
  • Add syrup, melted chocolate and then the pureed carrots. Add the carrots gradually until you have a thick (almost stiff) batter. You may not need all the carrots.
  • Place batter into the baking tin and bake for 35 to 40 minutes. Remove from the oven, let cool in the tin.
  • When cool, invert the pan onto a plate and peel off the baking paper. The base of the torte is the presentation side.
  • Melt white chocolate (I use microwave) and drizzle over the cake. Allow to the topping to set before serving.

That looks really good I will have to try it sometime. Thank you for putting the recipe conversions in as well for us of the foreign persuasion. It seems like it would be a realtively low calorie way to eat chocolate torte. I am certain I would enjoy it as well. I do need to find almond flour though. It would be a nice special flour to have.

That looks really good I will have to try it sometime. Thank you for putting the recipe conversions in as well for us of the foreign persuasion. It seems like it would be a realtively low calorie way to eat chocolate torte. I am certain I would enjoy it as well. I do need to find almond flour though. It would be a nice special flour to have.
If you can't find almond flour you can just grind almonds in a food processor until they are powdered.. Or you can substitute ordinary flour. In actual fact, ordinary flour probably has less calories than almond flour.

This looks fantastic.I'm always looking for recipes that incorporate fruits or vegetables since my kids don't eat a whole lot of them. This fits the bill perfectly. I've never cooked with almond flour before. Almonds flour is a nice alternative to regular flour. It would be high in fibre, protein, calcium and gluten free too. I love using almond milk in smoothies. I have several friends who are gluten intolerant and this would be a great dessert to serve for them. Thanks for the recipe.

This is a great recipe for a chocaholic like myself, and it's more healthy than a 'normal' chocolate cake, it is also gluten and dairy free so I can make this for my neighbour :) I think I would use honey instead of maple syrup since I love honey and buy a really nice local one. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom