Shopping lists

rascal

Forum GOD!
Local time
1:06 PM
do you have a list of stuff you have to buy when buying groceries. I usually do a list for my wife to get, but I always forget stuff. I said to her while cooking dinner the other night, we need some more tomato sauce aka ketchup. I make my own, but prefer store bought.
Anyway after I told her she said put it on the list. I Asked what list? She said the one on the fridge. I then discovered we had a list on the fridge.?? WHAT?? A list!!! Yip it turns out we have a list with about 4 things on it. The list has been there about 6 months and I never knew. I went to add to the list but no felt pen!! I'm very confused,lol.
Do you do lists??

Russ

yes - we do lists, but on a blackboard with chalk. If something runs out during the week, it is written up on the list. If someone fancies something for a meal next week, it is written up. On Friday evening or Saturday at breakfast, the list is filled in from having written up next weeks menu. So anything on the blackboard is added to the list, recipes have the ingredients checked out and anything missing is added and the usual suspects (bread, fruit, hummus, tofu and so on) are added to the list and the shopping list - not just food but also anything that needs purchasing whilst we are out, so that can include 4x2 timber or chicken feed or similar, is added and the shopping is carried out on Saturday morning, unless I did it on Friday instead to free up the weekend...

Mostly I shop on-line and all my 'usuals' are logged on the website. I do make mini lists if I'm cooking a specific recipe and don't have all the ingredients though. But the way I shop is almost random. I pick out ingredients that I fancy and juggle them into something later. I do have an extensive store of stuff though so its always possible to conjure up something with what I buy. Last random purchase was a poussin. I'm working out what to do with that today.

I have to laugh when I think of how we do shopping in my house. Saturday is the usual shopping day. I have a list that I leave out so anyone can add things. Inevitably, I go shopping, and my son asks "did you get _______?" And I say, "you didn't put it on the list, so I didn't know."

But, they realize that I end up stopping somewhere or other for things that we need mid-week quite often. It feels like I go shopping every other day (and sometimes more frequently). I imagine this is easier to do when you're in a metropolitan area.

Yes
Even with a list I forget things.
G likes to go to the store. I give him a list and threaten him with dire consequences if he impulse shops. He does it anyway. For him that means junk food.

Its supposed to be best to go food shopping after you have eaten as you are less likely to impulse buy junk food.

Yes, do a list. Have to or I'd forget stuff.

Also, invariably the list is only a starting point. I go to the shop for five items and while walking around the aisles I see that this, that and the other is on special, so my 5 items turns into two carrier bags full of stuff!

Mostly I shop on-line and all my 'usuals' are logged on the website. I do make mini lists if I'm cooking a specific recipe and don't have all the ingredients though. But the way I shop is almost random. I pick out ingredients that I fancy and juggle them into something later. I do have an extensive store of stuff though so its always possible to conjure up something with what I buy. Last random purchase was a poussin. I'm working out what to do with that today.

I can't get into shopping on line, I know you do, and my wife does, packages turn up here everyday. Normally shoes.

Russ

Mostly I shop on-line and all my 'usuals' are logged on the website
We decided quite recently to try to free up our weekends by me doing the shopping online. This was to include everything except for the fresh veg which we prefer lose and to choose ourselves.

Well it sounded a good idea. I'd buy a month of stuff or at least a fortnight's worth to meet the minimums etc. I made an account, fought with the system repeatedly, found alternatives that could be used for stuff not available online but that was in the store we shop in and so on. I tried the app first but ran into difficulties selecting my address. It just kept telling me that the address i was selecting was the default address. It made no sense whatsoever.

We've seen delivery vans in both of the local towns and we're much less rural than where we used to live. They used to deliver there, so we assumed that they'd deliver here.
I tried the unofficial alternative to our address, using the local area name instead of the postal town. Still no joy.
Finally I quit with the app, uninstalling it. Moved over to the website. Redid the entire list and got to the check out. It reminded me I didn't have a delivery address in my profile, so I went to add it only to be told that they didn't delivery to remote areas. We're not classed as remote in Australian terms, rural yes, remote no. We're less remote and less rural than where we used to live and they delivered to there... They deliver to 10 mins drive away but not to us. Why couldn't that app have told me that? It would have saved me hours of fighting, finding alternatives for stuff not stocked online... I can still use the system, if I want to 'collect in store' from the store I shop at. But why would I bother doing that when I can't get half of what I want, and another quarter I had to select a more expensive alternative for? Remember the store is an hours drive away, so I can fight with their app or website and only find half (if that) of what I want, drive an hour away and collect what I've bought online then walk around the very same shop and pick up the rest of my items that are not online or are fresh veg and pay for those, then drive an hour home again? I may as well just carry on and buy everything in one go when we walk around the shop... at least I know I'll get what I'm after that way. I even tried 2 other supermarkets but same thing...

Grrr

We decided quite recently to try to free up our weekends by me doing the shopping online. This was to include everything except for the fresh veg which we prefer lose and to choose ourselves.

Well it sounded a good idea. I'd buy a month of stuff or at least a fortnight's worth to meet the minimums etc. I made an account, fought with the system repeatedly, found alternatives that could be used for stuff not available online but that was in the store we shop in and so on. I tried the app first but ran into difficulties selecting my address. It just kept telling me that the address i was selecting was the default address. It made no sense whatsoever.

We've seen delivery vans in both of the local towns and we're much less rural than where we used to live. They used to deliver there, so we assumed that they'd deliver here.
I tried the unofficial alternative to our address, using the local area name instead of the postal town. Still no joy.
Finally I quit with the app, uninstalling it. Moved over to the website. Redid the entire list and got to the check out. It reminded me I didn't have a delivery address in my profile, so I went to add it only to be told that they didn't delivery to remote areas. We're not classed as remote in Australian terms, rural yes, remote no. We're less remote and less rural than where we used to live and they delivered to there... They deliver to 10 mins drive away but not to us. Why couldn't that app have told me that? It would have saved me hours of fighting, finding alternatives for stuff not stocked online... I can still use the system, if I want to 'collect in store' from the store I shop at. But why would I bother doing that when I can't get half of what I want, and another quarter I had to select a more expensive alternative for? Remember the store is an hours drive away, so I can fight with their app or website and only find half (if that) of what I want, drive an hour away and collect what I've bought online then walk around the very same shop and pick up the rest of my items that are not online or are fresh veg and pay for those, then drive an hour home again? I may as well just carry on and buy everything in one go when we walk around the shop... at least I know I'll get what I'm after that way. I even tried 2 other supermarkets but same thing...

Grrr

I guess because you are in the country, I'm 5 mins to about 3 big stores, but wife prefers to shop by my list, occasionally we get a treat,lol. Ice creams last week. Joy bars, my fave.

Russ

I guess because you are in the country, I'm 5 mins to about 3 big stores, but wife prefers to shop by my list, occasionally we get a treat,lol. Ice creams last week. Joy bars, my fave.

Russ
Thing is, my last place was in the bush and they delivered there. I live in farm land now, easier to and better access to it than before and they don't deliver. I'm 45 mins door to door from the country's capital city center business district. We're 10 mins off the major highway that runs between Sydney and Canberra. Before i was a good half hour off it. Its frustrating to say the least.

Last edited:
Thing is, my last place was in the bush and they delivered there. I live in farm land now, easier to and better access to it than before and they don't deliver. I'm 45 mins door to door from the country's capital city center business district. We're 10 mins off the major highway that ruins between Sydney and Canberra. Before i was a good half hour off it. Its frustrating to say the least.

Lol, sat Nav says...... Bah bow. Lol.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom