Show me your breakfast

Status
Not open for further replies.
CD

What's scrapple please?

It is something you will only find in Pennsylvania, as far as I know.

It is a pork loaf made from scraps (hence the name) of pig, a lot of it offal. It is mixed with flour and cornmeal, and formed into loaf pans to set up. It is sliced and pan fried, and served for breakfast with eggs and stuff. Basically a replacement for bacon or sausage.

My family LOVES it. I'm indifferent, at best. It's one of those foods you are better off not knowing what's in it. But, a lot of people love it.

Screen Shot 2021-10-23 at 10.45.48 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2021-10-23 at 10.42.38 PM.jpg

CD

Anthony Bourdain recommended to go to restaurants with 3 dishes per menu item because that way the chef can assure it's the best he has to offer. I think that's maybe a little drastic in it's minimalism, a little more on a menu is OK by me.

Anthony Bourdain also LOVED Waffle House. He could get down and dirty with his food. :hungry:

Screen Shot 2021-10-24 at 6.13.27 PM.jpg

CD

Is that sausage gravy on a waffle?

CD
Funny, because I asked the same thing. It's just really dark dried beef, sliced thick and then chopped into chunks.

Served on a waffle. On. A. Waffle.

That threw me off until I started reading my "Founding Foodies" book and learned that the first waffles brought to the New World came here with the Dutch and were served at breakfast topped with...creamed chicken or chipped beef, so what do I know? :laugh:

I second that and it is something fully recommended here too in general, be wary of restaurants with too many dishes on the menu, too often reduced to something less than excellent and sloppy.

Tasty and I are not getting anywhere in trying to explain the "Diner Experience" to you and Windigo. Diner food is NOT gourmet. It does taste good.

I have eaten at some of the finest restaurants in Texas (yes, Texas has fine dining with many James Beard awards**), but there are times, as Tasty said, that you just want a plate of good, filling comfort food.

** Michelin just started reviewing Texas restaurants in late 2019, so they are just starting to award stars here. Not that it matters to me, since Gordon Ramsey has a truckload of Michelin stars, an my one meal at a Gordon Ramsey restaurant sucked.

CD

Tasty and I are not getting anywhere in trying to explain the "Diner Experience" to you and Windigo. Diner food is NOT gourmet. It does taste good.

I have eaten at some of the finest restaurants in Texas (yes, Texas has fine dining with many James Beard awards**), but there are times, as Tasty said, that you just want a plate of good, filling comfort food.

** Michelin just started reviewing Texas restaurants in late 2019, so they are just starting to award stars here. Not that it matters to me, since Gordon Ramsey has a truckload of Michelin stars, an my one meal at a Gordon Ramsey restaurant sucked.

CD

Not entirely sure but I have the feeling that you are going a bit over since not me and not even Windigo wanted to underrate diner food neither to compare it to restaurant (we both know the difference).
It exists also here although the menus are not infinite.
You can call the dogs back now, thanks.

CD
I was not mentioning it tasting bad, or not being gourmet food anywhere. I said a big menu is a sign of an inefficient kitchen. So yes, if you're trying to convince me it tastes good you're getting nowhere because I need no convincing :okay:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom