Show me your breakfast

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love maple syrup on my sausages. It has to be the real maple stuff, not the flavored corn syrup crap simple labeled "pancake syrup." Pork and maple are a good combination. Ever had a maple bacon donut? Sounds weird, but it is amazing.

CD

I love maple syrup on my sausages. It has to be the real maple stuff, not the flavored corn syrup crap simple labeled "pancake syrup." Pork and maple are a good combination. Ever had a maple bacon donut? Sounds weird, but it is amazing.

CD
Maple-flavored sausage is very popular here, both in links and bulk/patties. I hate frying it because it really gunks up the pan.

Maple-flavored sausage is very popular here, both in links and bulk/patties. I hate frying it because it really gunks up the pan.

Yeah, I see it in stores here, but never tried it. I figured it was just artificial maple flavoring and corn syrup. I never bothered to read the ingredients.

CD

What exactly is grape jelly? Its not something we get in the UK to my knowledge.
In the US, jelly is a smooth version of jam. We only call it jam if it has the pulpy bits. I think on your side of the pond it's all jam and jelly is Jello, correct?

In the US, jelly is a smooth version of jam. We only call it jam if it has the pulpy bits. I think on your side of the pond it's all jam and jelly is Jello, correct?

Yes jelly is a wobbly party food made from gelatine. We do have jelly as in the conserve too (see below). I was really asking what the grape version is as we don't have that. Is it a clear conserve made from green or black grapes?

1595767783837.png

Yes jelly is a wobbly party food made from gelatine. We do have jelly as in the conserve too (see below). I was really asking what the grape version is as we don't have that. Is it a clear conserve made from green or black grapes?

View attachment 43962
Yes, clear conserve, but I've never seen it with green grapes, only dark ones.

I didn't think that we had "jello" in the UK.

I remember we had jelly in little cubes constructed like a chocolate bar. The cubes would be separated and "dissolved" in hot water then the liquid left to set, usually in a mold.

w=0&h=rfjclgs6liFh1mqPYgbOjDuQ9lyb59zW0JJPO2sI47I=.jpg

Personally I preferred to just eat the cubes as they came.

I didn't think that we had "jello" in the UK.

I remember we had jelly in little cubes constructed like a chocolate bar. The cubes would be separated and "dissolved" in hot water then the liquid left to set, usually in a mold.

View attachment 43964

Personally I preferred to just eat the cubes as they came.
That's what we call jello. It's gelatine. Jelly is a clear preserve used mainly for sandwiches or toast in the US.

What exactly is grape jelly? Its not something we get in the UK to my knowledge.
What JASOH1 said, and it's dark, dark purple. Just about every American kid grew up eating loads of it on peanut butter sandwiches. You can even buy jars of alternating stripes of peanut butter and grape jelly, to save you the fuss of having to open two jars.

It's basically candy in spreadable form.

What JASOH1 said, and it's dark, dark purple. Just about every American kid grew up eating loads of it on peanut butter sandwiches. You can even buy jars of alternating stripes of peanut butter and grape jelly, to save you the fuss of having to open two jars.

It's basically candy in spreadable form.

It is probably the most popular jelly flavor in the US. Welch's and peanut butter sandwiches is something kid's of my era often had for lunch.

Screen Shot 2020-07-26 at 8.46.41 AM.png

CD

One of my go-to breakfasts; MrsTasty requests this frequently:

This isn't a true impossible pie, but a much improved one. The recipe comes from ATK/CC.

Butter a glass pie pan, then coat the bottom with grated parm. This will become the crust of sorts - very thin.

Combine gruyere, diced ham, and scallions, then distribute evenly in the pie pan.

Mix together flour, baking powder, salt and pepper, eggs, half-and-half, Dijon mustard, melted butter, and nutmeg into a thin batter and pour over the cheese mixture.

Into the oven for about a half-hour, and it comes out like this:

It just needs to sit for a bit to set up, and that's breakfast (or lunch, or supper, or a picnic dish) sorted.

I see what you mean - I looked up the calories and its nearly three times that of a Tiptree (famous UK jam brand) jelly. 1 tbsp of Welch's grape jelly has 120 cals.
Yes, I prefer strawberry jam. I don't think I have eaten grape jelly in over 30 years. I probably haven't had strawberry jam in 10 years or more. I prefer my toast with butter only, and I don't eat peanut butter and jelly sandwiches anymore, mostly because I don't buy loaves of sliced bread and never think to make it with freshly baked bread. That too I like with butter only.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom