Show me your breakfast

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh my! I totally botched poaching the Eggs! :headshake::cry:

OK. I admitted it. Now I can get on to present the Eggs Benedict I had for Breakfast today. It was after all, my first try at Eggs Benedict and my first try at separating Egg White and Egg Yolk and doing Poached Eggs.

Eggs Benedict is a great learning experience, if you've never done it before. So I forgive the blunder at poaching the Eggs. The Hollandaise Sauce turned out good, possibly a little bit too liquid and thin with a bit too much Lemon Juice. I did note that doing an Eggs Benedict is very time critical as things should not cool off. Further when breaking Eggs and trying to poach them, having to cough at a critical moment is not a good thing. My major failing in poaching the Eggs seems to be related to the water temperature. I didn't wait until it really got boiling, just beginning to. I felt nagged by the time criticality of the whole process.

EggsBenedictTry#1_20210115.jpg

My Hash Brown Potatoes, with Canadian Bacon and Onion, turned out very good. And, to that point, my Eggs Benedict, while not having a wonderful appearance, satisfied the taste test. They did indeed taste like Eggs Benedict. :p:

I poach eggs in just shimmering/simmering water. If it's boiling hard, the eggs will break up too much. It also helps if you break the eggs into a small dish and then kind of just slide/tip the egg into the water.

Thanks for the advise.

Well done for attempting the Hollandaise - its difficult to see the texture of it due to the egg yolks but it does look a bit liquid. It should form a fairly thick emulsion. Its similar to making mayonnaise in that respect although the emulsion is not quite as thick as in mayo.

Well done for attempting the Hollandaise - its difficult to see the texture of it due to the egg yolks but it does look a bit liquid. It should form a fairly thick emulsion. Its similar to making mayonnaise in that respect although the emulsion is not quite as thick as in mayo.

If I were to put it into words, Hollandaise Sauce requires cooking the Egg Yolks as a particulate suspension in Lemon Juice ( a splash ) and drizzled Butter. It therefore requires constant whisking to keep the Yolk from clumping up ( scrambling ). It's time critical, as putting it aside allows the Butter to begin to cool and solidify. It is heat critical in that you don't want it to scramble in heat, just cook the Yolks as suspended particulate. Thus we cook the sauce in a bowl above a pan of boiled steaming water, but not in it.

I poach eggs in just shimmering/simmering water. If it's boiling hard, the eggs will break up too much. It also helps if you break the eggs into a small dish and then kind of just slide/tip the egg into the water.

I've had time to think on what you say here. I had noticed when I poached (flopped at poaching) Eggs, that I had no idea how long to keep the Eggs in the water, swirling. How long should this be? - on average?

If I were to put it into words, Hollandaise Sauce requires cooking the Egg Yolks as a particulate suspension in Lemon Juice ( a splash ) and drizzled Butter. It therefore requires constant whisking to keep the Yolk from clumping up ( scrambling ). It's time critical, as putting it aside allows the Butter to begin to cool and solidify. It is heat critical in that you don't want it to scramble in heat, just cook the Yolks as suspended particulate. Thus we cook the sauce in a bowl above a pan of boiled steaming water, but not in it.

Yes I know! But it does also work in the microwave. Time critical as you say.

You swirl the water, slip the egg in, then let the swirl stop itself. Unfortunately, you can really only do 1 egg at a time that way. You let them sit in the water for whatever amount of time that corresponds to how you want your yolk cooked, i.e. runny to fully cooked. I have to look the times up every time because I don't poach eggs very often, but I think it was a little over 3 minutes for my hubs who likes his yolks very runny to about 4 minutes or a little more for mine, which I like jelly like.

When cooking multiple eggs, just gently tip/slide the individual eggs from a container into the shimmering/simmering water and increase cooking time by 15-30 seconds depending on how many you are cooking.

BTW, I use Chef Eric Ripert's blender Hollandaise sauce recipe/technique. Works every time.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom