Show me your breakfast

Status
Not open for further replies.
Makes me feel a bit queasy... :ohmy:
Notice my sausage is up on the edge to keep it out of the syrup. :)

I don't mind the flavor (maple and pork get along quite well...maple-glazed pork chops, anyone?), but I don't like that glossy texture that syrup (or honey, or molasses, or sorghum) has combined with pork.

Keep in mind, too, that this is uncased American breakfast sausage, which doesn't have a whole lot in common, taste- or texture-wise, and something like a Cumberland sausage. Worlds apart.

Those are preformed skinless sausages. I don't like those. 👎🏻

I like the way the calories are stated for each option. The 'Lighter Fare' breakfast is way more calories than I would ever eat for brunch or even dinner most days. A typical full English breakfast is certainly going to be 600 cals plus, though.

Don't sweat about all that syrup and butter - the waffle is made with some whole wheat flour mixed in, so it's healthy. :wink:
They serve pancakes (American style) here in Australia with so much maple syrup that you could go swimming in it as well. If I order pancakes now, I ask for the syrup on the side. I know I had a sweet tooth as a teenager growing up (primarily from not actually having sugar as a kid growing up) but even I find the quantity way too much.

I've yet to even try the sugar cane drinks they serve here made from the sugar cane immediately in front of you. It comes but into 1m lengths and the very thought of all that sugar sends shock waves through my teeth.

Gotcha, makes sense.

Russ

The nice thing about the sticks is that the wrappers are marked in 1-TBSP increments, so if you need 4-TBSP for a recipe, you just slice that much off. Many recipes here list butter quantities in Tablespoons. I'm not sure what measurements are commonly used around the world.

serveimage.jpeg

CD

As promised, biscuits and gravy.

Traditionally around these parts, the white gravy would have no meat in it, although it's since become more and more common to find crumbled breakfast sausage in it at restaurants (the dreaded SOS).

My wife, being the Yankee girl that she is (Yankee in the American sense, meaning anyone from above the Mason-Dixon Line), didn't grow up with biscuits and gravy, but did have chipped beef on toast (which just sounds utterly disgusting to me, while biscuits and gravy are divine), so when we have this, it's a compromise - chipped beef on biscuits. I suppose this dish is a culinary representation of a good marriage - compromise. :)

Biscuits an sausage gravy are an almost religious thing down here in Texas. But, there are many ways to make them wrong, and few people make really good sausage gravy. I rarely eat biscuits and sausage gravy, but on a cold winter morning, they are great, stick-to-your-ribs comfort food.

CD

Okay, I think I have caught up on this thread, now. Whew, I was really behind.

CD

I like the way the calories are stated for each option. The 'Lighter Fare' breakfast is way more calories than I would ever eat for brunch or even dinner most days. A typical full English breakfast is certainly going to be 600 cals plus, though.

I would think a full English would be more than 600 calories. I've had them over there, and there is a lot of food on the plate.

I love the full English, but never quite understood the baked beans. They just seem odd for breakfast.

CD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom