Show me your breakfast

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like the down-under version of mercan "Silver Dollar Pancakes" to me. Same basic ingredients, too.

CD
Yeah, but I'm from over the Pond! only been down under for 3 years. Pikelets are a Welsh thing. (my family mostly comes from Wales & England, though I was born in Scotland). Though admittedly the maple syrup is a switch for the golden syrup that they would normally be served with. I did use golden syrup (a British thing) to make them with but it is pricey here so I generally use maple syrup over things and golden syrup in things!

Hubby took a secondment 3 years ago when his work offered to pay us to live and work in Australia. It was originally for 3 years but we applied for a permanent residency visa last year and had it granted inside 8 weeks because of where we are and the field hubby works in.

if you can see my location "A Pom in NSW, Aus", A Pom is the name Australians use for a British person in Australia. I think it originates from potato as in the colour of our skin, but I could be wrong. It's a friendly slang term.

Looks like the down-under version of mercan "Silver Dollar Pancakes" to me. Same basic ingredients, too.

CD
I just meant that it's a syrup-based breakfast, as opposed to the porridge-fruit breakfasts of late.

I make three breakfasts that feature poured-over syrup (no surprises coming): pancakes, waffles, and French toast. In my mind, they're all siblings. :)

Omelette is stuffed with American cheese, onion, tomatoes, and roasted red pepper.

I made the potatoes in the waffle iron again. Last time, I used frozen and they worked a treat; this time, I used fresh (a lot more work), and they were fine, but they were a little harder manage, possibly because I shredded them much finer than frozen potatoes, and possibly because shredded fresh potatoes are always more challenging for me (getting the starch out so they're not gummy, getting them squeezed bone dry, etc.). They tasted great, and I actually liked the texture better. I seasoned them with paprika, smoked paprika, chili powder, cayenne, white pepper, and garlic salt. Lots of garlic salt... 🤤

Today's breakfast was a three-egg omelet with Fontina cheese, a slice of pastured bacon, and a handful of some chicken I'd recently cooked sous vide. No photos. Looks like an omelet...

Yesterday's I had at a local eatery: cheesy grits (which is a cereal made from corn) topped with three shrimp. with a bit of tomato and bacon chopped up and used to season the grits, which had a mildly spicy demeanor. Oh, and both days: coffee.

It was good, but a little too filling.
corms breakfast shrimp grits.jpg

Today's breakfast was a three-egg omelet with Fontina cheese, a slice of pastured bacon, and a handful of some chicken I'd recently cooked sous vide. No photos. Looks like an omelet...

Yesterday's I had at a local eatery: cheesy grits (which is a cereal made from corn) topped with three shrimp. with a bit of tomato and bacon chopped up and used to season the grits, which had a mildly spicy demeanor. Oh, and both days: coffee.

It was good, but a little too filling.
View attachment 36867

They look like nice big shrimps.

They look like nice big shrimps.

They were.

BTW, grits are a southern USA thing. They're made from corn that's ground down, but not so fine as to make flour. You don't see them much up here in the north. My southern grandmother used to make a cheese grits casserole that I loved as a kid, but since Dad (her son) hated grits, oatmeal, cream of wheat... and they weren't available up north - we never had them at home. Grandmother served them as a side for dinner. Dad got all polite and ate his bare minimum.

I'd also never had them for breakfast except during the Daytona Beach College Trip From Hell - we stopped off in our bus at a breakfast locale on the way down somewhere in Arkansas??? Georgia??? I asked for the grits. These had no cheese and no flavor whatosoever. I actually haven't had grits since then until now. And I was HUNGRY - and couldn't eat them. (There are MANY reasons why that was the Daytona Beach College Trip from Hell. We hadn't had dinner for one due to a 10 hour late start from Indiana, one of my table-mates was black (which meant we got served, very perfunctorily, LAST - and I still feel badly for her). And not to mention the rest of the trip....

They were.

BTW, grits are a southern USA thing. They're made from corn that's ground down, but not so fine as to make flour. You don't see them much up here in the north. My southern grandmother used to make a cheese grits casserole that I loved as a kid, but since Dad (her son) hated grits, oatmeal, cream of wheat... and they weren't available up north - we never had them at home. Grandmother served them as a side for dinner. Dad got all polite and ate his bare minimum.

I'd also never had them for breakfast except during the Daytona Beach College Trip From Hell - we stopped off in our bus at a breakfast locale on the way down somewhere in Arkansas??? Georgia??? I asked for the grits. These had no cheese and no flavor whatosoever. I actually haven't had grits since then until now. And I was HUNGRY - and couldn't eat them. (There are MANY reasons why that was the Daytona Beach College Trip from Hell. We hadn't had dinner for one due to a 10 hour late start from Indiana, one of my table-mates was black (which meant we got served, very perfunctorily, LAST - and I still feel badly for her). And not to mention the rest of the trip....
Grits are extremely common here, and nearly always for breakfast, though cheese grits are considered a bit of a "city" thing; a real country boy or gal puts red-eye on their grits.

I do not like grits. My folks eat grits and red-eye almost every day.

This morning - since I needed to make this anyway, for breakfast I made Tom Kha Gai soup. I still have two or more servings left. This was SO GOOD! I'll post it once I play with the photos and finish writing up the recipe.

I used chicken dark meat rather than the white. And the last one of my home grown Thai peppers.

I really want more right now, but I'm going out to eat with the locals at noon - an hour and a half from now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom