Show us your pet

Hitting the salad bar

20230622_180927.jpg

So our resident groundhog, Stewie (named before we found out that "he" is a "she") is definitely odd. According to internet sources, she is supposed to like vegetables like lettuce, broccoli, carrots, cabbage, and the like. That's not her. I tried early on and she snubbed it all. She likes peanut butter sandwiches and bananas (like bananas are even a natural food to the Northeast USA, LOL...and peanut butter on bread obviously doesn't grow, so...hmmm.). Well apparently she has been watching the squirrels eat peanuts (which are also not native to NE USA) and decided to give it a go. The squirrels actually take the nuts out of the shell. Not Stewie. She eats them shells and all. Which I find to be quite considerate, since the shells make a big mess on the outside back deck. Maybe she just needed some roughage, I dunno. Seems like bananas would do the trick but I am grateful she cleans up the deck for us.

Oh, and after she had brought her babies up and was weaning them (about a month ago I think), shortly thereafter she booted them from the hole and they were seen wandering around underneath the woodpile a distance across the yard from her den (assuming there must be a den under there). One of them came up on the deck while she was eating a PB sandwich one day last week and tried to nibble on it while she was holding it, and she bit her baby on the head and chased him/her off. Not very much of a maternal instinct going on and I am guessing that groundhogs are just not family oriented critters. Get off my teat and get the heck away from me!!!! That's fine by me, just gotta figure out where those babies are going to live because if she doesn't want them around, we don't really want them here, either. They seem to be scared of us and that's a good thing. We lately have been feeding Stewie "made to order" sandwiches so that the babies aren't encouraged to come up on the deck to eat. Guess we will see what happens.

I had a dream the other night that Stewie turned into a dog.

Dogsitting for my sister-in-law while she's visiting her mom in Puerto Rico. That's Dune on the left and Lila on the right.
20230706_190825.jpg

Full bellies and new flea collars. And I said, "Alexa. Play peaceful guitar music." So there's mellow acoustic music on and they're almost asleep.

Back
Top Bottom