Recipe Shrimp and Pineapple Skewers on the Grill

caseydog

Local time
4:07 PM
Shrimp and Pineapple Skewers on the Grill

Ingredients
(per skewer -- multiply by number of skewers)

4 Large Shrimps (marinated)
4 One Inch Cubes Pineapple

Marinade

1/4 cup Soy Sauce
1/4 cup Honey
1/4 cup Olive Oil
Crushed Garlic (to personal taste)
Fresh Cayenne Chili peppers (to personal taste)

Instructions

Marinade
-- mix ingredients in a bowl (warm in microwave for about 15 seconds to soften honey). Put in the fridge to get cold. Note: slice the chilis lengthwise to expose insides to your marinade liquids -- seeds and membranes are okay to leave intact.

Shrimp -- peel and de-vein. Place in plastic container (ie: Tupperware) with marinade. Shake gently to coat all the shrimp. Place in fridge for 30 minutes.

Pineapple -- cut a fresh pineapple into one-inch cubes.

Using metal or bamboo (soaked) skewers, alternate shrimp and pineapple -- four each on a skewer.

Cook skewers over medium-high heat. It will take three to four minutes per side to cook through.

Serve on coconut rice (rice cooked in coconut water -- a hint of coconut flavor, not overwhelming).

1689730253035.jpeg

1689730267807.jpeg

1689730285738.jpeg

CD

Seafood and pineapple is an absolute favourite of mine and you've got some chilli in there too :okay:. This looks really lovely and I think the coconut rice is a good accompaniment (as long as its just that hint of coconut, as you stated).

Yes, I don't like a strong coconut flavor, so this was just right for me. Others may want to add some coconut shavings and/or use coconut milk, instead of coconut water.

CD

Didnt have you down as a pineapple guy?
Well there you go :)

Russ

I love pineapple, just not on pizza. :laugh: I cut most of my two fresh pineapples up and just ate it straight. Pineapple is great grilled (bbq), too. The natural sugars caramelize and add a wonderful depth of flavor. Grilled pineapple slices with a scoop of good vanilla ice cream is a great summer dessert.

CD

I love pineapple, just not on pizza. :laugh: I cut most of my two fresh pineapples up and just ate it straight. Pineapple is great grilled (bbq), too. The natural sugars caramelize and add a wonderful depth of flavor. Grilled pineapple slices with a scoop of good vanilla ice cream is a great summer dessert.

CD

I love a pizza supreme which contains pineapple.

Russ

I’ve just realised I’ve never had seafood and pineapple.
Seafood and tropical fruits (pineapple, mango, starfruit, etc) go really well together. It may be cultural "blockage" that has us believe that pineapples and mangos are only for sweet courses. Brung up in the south of England, I thought pineapples only grew in tins and were used for (a) desserts (b) cheese and pineapple skewers at parties and (c) pineapple fritters.

Seafood and tropical fruits (pineapple, mango, starfruit, etc) go really well together. It may be cultural "blockage" that has us believe that pineapples and mangos are only for sweet courses. Brung up in the south of England, I thought pineapples only grew in tins and were used for (a) desserts (b) cheese and pineapple skewers at parties and (c) pineapple fritters.
I do have a general aversion to dried fruit with meat. Tastes like super sweet gummies have been dropped into the dish to assault your unsuspecting tastebuds. I can just about enjoy apricot in a tangine 😆

But other non dried fruits no, I have no “cultural blockage” or aversion to tropical fruit used with meat or fish. I very much like a savoury curried dish with a few lychees chucked in or my favourite salad is a chicken sesame mango jobby.

I think it’s just a something I’ve missed out on as pineapple used to be on the list of things my son was anaphylactic level allergic to so I always viewed it as the enemy! Fortunately he’s grown out of that one.

Back
Top Bottom