Recipe Skinny Hot and Sour Soup

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
11:04 PM
DSCF2574.jpg

Photographed yesterday in natural light

Super simple and super skinny; you will probably burn off more calories making this than eating it. I haven't written out quantities of ingredients. I think its pretty easy to judge how much of each element you will need.

Ingredients
Cavolo Nero, cut diagonally into strips* (you could substitute kale or strips of green cabbage)
Cooked chicken pieces
Chilli, cut into fine strips (I used Scotch Bonnet, as pictured above)
Clarified chicken stock (or use a stock cube)
Fish sauce or lime juice
Light soy sauce

Method

• Boil the Cavolo Nero in salted water for 4-5 minutes and drain. I left the central stalk in, although most recipes for Cavolo Nero advise removing them. I usually do, but in this recipe I like the crunch.
  • Add the chill, Cavolo Nero and chicken pieces to the chicken stock and heat through. Season with fish sauce (or lime juice) and light soy sauce, to taste.
DSCF2575.jpg

Loving this after my initial scare of what looked like a worm as it slowly opened. I am getting excited about The CookingBites Recipe Challenge again. I was beginning to think I was going to have a very easy job finding a winner as the entries were so few. I will make one last appeal for entries but you can keep yours coming. I think I am going to send out individual invitations.

Loving this after my initial scare of what looked like a worm as it slowly opened. I am getting excited about The CookingBites Recipe Challenge again. I was beginning to think I was going to have a very easy job finding a winner as the entries were so few. I will make one last appeal for entries but you can keep yours coming. I think I am going to send out individual invitations.
Good idea to send out some invitations. I wonder what stops people entering? Could be one of the following:
  • They don't realise its a competition (surely that can't be the case after all our attempts to bring it to people's notice?) .
  • They don't feel confident entering. I could understand that if it had to be their own recipe. But it doesn't! They can cut and paste a recipe from anywhere as long as they credit it.
  • They don't want to become judge if they win (too much responsibility).
Anyway, if anyone reading this would like to tell us why they don't enter that would be useful info. Perhaps a separate thread asking why the lack of entries?

I thought of creating a separate thread after the Cabbage among the the world's healthiest foods didn't quite work. I for one used to think I would not have the time to be Judge, and for that reason held back. Then I also don't like when I don't get to try anything and which would be my ideal situation. Maybe people want something more 'tangible' and for a while I wondered what I could offer from my distance....maybe my points or something. Anyway, I will make a last ditch effort to get some interest.

At the end of the day I'd love to see all these beautiful images in one place.

Maybe people want something more 'tangible' and for a while I wondered what I could offer from my distance....maybe my points or something. Anyway, I will make a last ditch effort to get some interest.

At the end of the day I'd love to see all these beautiful images in one place.

Don't know what you meant when you say you could offer your points. I'm tryiing to promote the Challenge as much as I can... we have more than a few entries now.

Re the images, I'm busy practising food photography (all thanks to this Forum!). I may consider starting my own food blog but at the moment I'm wary of making that commitment!

We do have some entries but I just want to find a way to get more involved. It's a mere handful of us who enter. When the time is right you will commit. At least you are quite committed here and I find that very encouraging. Where's Classic33 by the way?

I totally love hot and sour soup and this one looks like something good to try. I think it is so good with Chinese food. It is just one of the things that I can use. It is one of the soups I have always really enjoyed so it is great to have some tips how to make it. It is one of the tastiest soups. My challenge would be finding the ingredients.

I totally love hot and sour soup and this one looks like something good to try. I think it is so good with Chinese food. It is just one of the things that I can use. It is one of the soups I have always really enjoyed so it is great to have some tips how to make it. It is one of the tastiest soups. My challenge would be finding the ingredients.
You don't have to use Cavolo Nero - ordinary cabbage would do - or even spinach. Fish sauce does make a difference, if you can get it.

Back
Top Bottom