Recipe Small batch sauerkraut

I don't like the way daikon smells. In fact, the first time we used it, Craig was grating it for slaw, my nose started twitching and I accused 1 of our then pugs of leaving us a "present." After that, was a bit hesitant to eat the slaw, but ended up liking the way daikon tastes.

I also absolutely hated the way collard greens smelled (made me gag) and refused to eat them until my mid to late 30s when I finally sucked it up and made some for Craig because he liked them and had been wanting them. Wow, what a difference a good recipe makes. I'll still only eat greens made using that particular recipe though, just like I'll only eat homemade kraut.

Just started another batch of this. Used the food processor to shred the cabbage this time though. We decided to have corned beef and cabbage tonight instead of waiting for St. Paddy's Day. Going to make some Irish soda bread in a few.

Just started another batch of this. Used the food processor to shred the cabbage this time though. We decided to have corned beef and cabbage tonight instead of waiting for St. Paddy's Day. Going to make some Irish soda bread in a few.
It is wonderful that you make it at home, it is full of vitamin C and the winter time C defficiency is greatly supported by it, as you surely well know. I use whole cabbage leaves done by the same method when I make Sarma. I usually make it around Christmas time. This year, my boyfriend did the cabbage sauering process, it was good and tasty, but it was a bit heavier on my digestion...my kid loves them and she was ok. I did not really get why that happened, but I love the Sarma. I make it with minced beef/pork and rice, the way my Granda made it, and I put cubed bacon and shreded cabbage in between the layers. Usually mashed potatoes on the side.

[Mod.Comment: Please do not use photos without citing the source. This is a stock photo used on several websites. I've added a link to one such. (MG)]

• Mojcazin.ba je portal koji donosi vijesti iz Cazinske krajine, Cazin i Bosne i Hercegovine.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't like the way daikon smells. In fact, the first time we used it, Craig was grating it for slaw, my nose started twitching and I accused 1 of our then pugs of leaving us a "present." After that, was a bit hesitant to eat the slaw, but ended up liking the way daikon tastes.

I also absolutely hated the way collard greens smelled (made me gag) and refused to eat them until my mid to late 30s when I finally sucked it up and made some for Craig because he liked them and had been wanting them. Wow, what a difference a good recipe makes. I'll still only eat greens made using that particular recipe though, just like I'll only eat homemade kraut.
My husband's cousin makes kim chee. Brian brought home a jar of it one time. I was in the back bedroom and he was in the kitchen when he opened it, and within about 30 seconds I was yelling, "OMG what is that godawful smell???!!!!!!" :laugh: :laugh:

And then I was yelling at his cousin John the next time I saw him. They both thought that was hilarious, but I sternly warned him never to bring it back in the house again, and he hasn't.

It is wonderful that you make it at home, it is full of vitamin C and the winter time C defficiency is greatly supported by it, as you surely well know. I use whole cabbage leaves done by the same method when I make Sarma. I usually make it around Christmas time. This year, my boyfriend did the cabbage sauering process, it was good and tasty, but it was a bit heavier on my digestion...my kid loves them and she was ok. I did not really get why that happened, but I love the Sarma. I make it with minced beef/pork and rice, the way my Granda made it, and I put cubed bacon and shreded cabbage in between the layers. Usually mashed potatoes on the side.

View attachment 59158

[Mod.Comment: Please do not use photos without citing the source. This is a stock photo used on several websites. I've added a link to one such. (MG)]

• Mojcazin.ba je portal koji donosi vijesti iz Cazinske krajine, Cazin i Bosne i Hercegovine.
Morning Glory you are absolutely right, my apologies.

My husband's cousin makes kim chee. Brian brought home a jar of it one time. I was in the back bedroom and he was in the kitchen when he opened it, and within about 30 seconds I was yelling, "OMG what is that godawful smell???!!!!!!" :laugh: :laugh:

And then I was yelling at his cousin John the next time I saw him. They both thought that was hilarious, but I sternly warned him never to bring it back in the house again, and he hasn't.
Is it really that horrible? Does it not smell like food at all?

Homemade or commercially produced, not for me!
Shermie, I have tried commercially produced several times, as my MIL makes pork and sauerkraut for New Year's dinner each year. I hate it. She cooks the sauerkraut right on top of the pork, so the juices soak into the pork and make it taste funky (not in a good way). I always bring a pot of black eyed peas with ham and eat that while everyone else dives into the pork and sauerkraut. Well pre-pandemic, anyway. That was canceled this year.

But I think I might like medtran49 's method, I might give it a whirl, especially since I think it might make some spectacular sauerkraut fritters!

I don't really like to eat kimchee/kimchi by itself, but I do like it when it's used to make other things, and it's not too bad when it's part of multiple banchan. I've made it before. You can make it without the dried shrimp or shrimp paste and the smell isn't any worse than sauerkraut then.

Last edited:
I don't really like to eat kimchee by itself, but I do like it when it's used to make other things, and it's not too bad when it's part of multiple banchan. I've made it before. You can make it without the dried shrimp or shrimp paste and the smell isn't any worse than sauerkraut then.
I don't like the smell of sauerkraut much when I open the bag.

For anyone who wants the health benefits of sauerkraut as a fermented food, keep in mind that if it's canned or jarred it likely has been pasteurized and killed off the good bacteria. Up here in Ohio they sell it in the produce dept. in a bag, refrigerated. I imagine for those who like sauerkraut it's the best. But if anyone is heating it or cooking it and eating it, the bacteria is destroyed that way as well. You still get the good vitamins, though.

This back and forth reminded me of a challenge participated in on another forum. It was to do a fusion of Asian dumplings and another cuisine. We chose Cajun/Creole and Cuban so I had to come up with a small batch of kimchee for each cuisine. That was fun and came out pretty good as well, especially the Cuban ones if I remember correctly.

Back
Top Bottom