Recipe Small batch sauerkraut

Over the next day, press down on the cabbage several times
Yep, my Grandma was terrific at this. She even made a whole barrel of cabbage, we kept the barrel under the kitchen table. I remember vividly. Quite a lot of work and time required, she was retired then. She was stunning with everything cooking related. Pickles, main courses,soups, bakes...
I don't have the time at this life stage, but who knows...for now, I manage with the commercial ones.
There is a variety to choose from, the northern city of Varaždin is traditionally known for good, not too sauer a sauerkraut.

Yep, my Grandma was terrific at this. She even made a whole barrel of cabbage, we kept the barrel under the kitchen table. I remember vividly. Quite a lot of work and time required, she was retired then. She was stunning with everything cooking related. Pickles, main courses,soups, bakes...
I don't have the time at this life stage, but who knows...for now, I manage with the commercial ones.
There is a variety to choose from, the northern city of Varaždin is traditionally known for good, not too sauer a sauerkraut.
That's the great thing about small batch sauerkraut. It takes maybe an hour active time at beginning, then a minute or 2 to check it every day until it's ready to go in refrigerator.

I make small batches of sauerkraut every now and again, because it is not often available here, and even when it is ...
It's not sour enough :)

As for salt, I use on the higher side to compensate a bit for the high temperatures here.
I pound the heck out of the cabbage with salt in batches in a big wooden mortar and pestle.

I forgot to buy cabbage when I was in the shops last week, but it looks like cabbage season is starting.
I may even make a huge batch this time

Back
Top Bottom