5:54 AM
Website
todayinthekitchen.com
Smoked Paprika Cod in Butter Sauce

Ingredients
  • 3 Cod Fillets (~6 oz each)
  • 3 tsp Malt Vinegar (1 tsp per fillet)
  • 5 tsp Smoked Paprika
  • 1 pint Cherry tomatoes (sliced in half)
  • 1 cup cauliflower (broken into flowerettes)
  • 1/2 cup vegetable broth
  • 1/2 lbs unsalted butter (cut into 1 oz slices)
Method
  1. Preheat oven to 400 F (200 C)
  2. On a rimmed baking sheet place a sheet of aluminum foil.
  3. Arrange Cod fillets on the sheet.
  4. Add vegetable broth and butter. Place in preheated oven for 5 minutes or until butter melts.
  5. Remove from oven. Splash malt vinegar on top of each fillet.
  6. Arrange flowerettes around cod fillets. Add more vegetable broth to insure enough liquid.
  7. Generously sprinkle Paprika on top of each fillet. (1 tsp per fillet)
  8. Lightly sprinkle rest of Paprika on the cauliflower.
  9. Return to oven for 15 minutes. Then remove and add sliced cherry tomatoes.
  10. Bake for 10 more minutes or until cauliflower is nicely browned.
Variations
Add feta cheese crumbles when adding cauliflower.
Add whole sweet corn kernels when adding cauliflower.

Notes
I was a bit fearful that I may be "under spicing" this recipe. However, I had forgotten the creamy power of butter and the "snap" of malt vinegar. In the end, the simple combination of Paprika, butter, malt vinegar and broth created a memorable sauce.

the creamy power of butter and the "snap" of malt vinegar.

Nicely written - I can imagine. Whilst not a fan of smoked paprika I know that many folk love it. I reckon it would work with a fiery (unsmoked) Hungarian paprika too.

Great colours, also. I love the idea of the feta with cauliflower to add a salty tang.

Nicely written - I can imagine. Whilst not a fan of smoked paprika I know that many folk love it. I reckon it would work with a fiery (unsmoked) Hungarian paprika too.

Great colours, also. I love the idea of the feta with cauliflower to add a salty tang.
Thanks. As luck would have it, I made a second tray but with feta cheese added. Taste-wise, it was even better than the first tray. Unfortunately (recipe-wise), I ran out of cherry tomatoes so the photos were not as colorful.

This looks to be very light, and also very tasty!
I was surprised at how good this turned out. More than surprised...actually amazed. I mean think about it, no onion, no garlic, no lemon, no hot peppers, no parsley or cilantro. And yet, it turned out to be a flavor rich dish.

Ahhh...The mysteries of the kitchen. :thumbsup:

Back
Top Bottom