Recipe Smoked Salmon with Pickled Cabbage and Kale Seaweed

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
1:11 AM
How to use up all that cabbage and kale I bought for the The CookingBites Recipe Challenge? I'm being purposely pretentious with this recipe and enjoying every moment. This recipe requires minimal cooking. Its all about colour and careful cutting and assembly.

DSCF2678.jpg

Clockwise from the top: pickled red cabbage stems with yellow beetroot, pink grapefruit 'pearls', pickled red and Savoy cabbage, pickled Savoy cabbage stem. In the centre; smoked salmon. Kale seaweed sprinkled over. Photographed today in daylight augmented by LED.

Ingredients:

Smoked salmon
Kale or green cabbage leaves
Red cabbage
Savoy cabbage
Pink Grapefruit
Yellow beetroot
White wine vinegar or rice vinegar
Sugar
5-spice powder
Lemon or lime juice
Oil for deep frying

Method:
  • Make a pickling liquid using one part sugar to two parts vinegar with salt to taste, heated in a saucepan until sugar is dissolved
To make the pickled red cabbage stems:
  • Using a Y shaped vegetable peeler shave wafer thin slivers of stalk from the outside of a red cabbage without including leaves.
  • Add a 5-Spice powder (a few pinches) to some pickling liquid and mix then add the stalk and steep for half an hour.
To make the pickled red and Savoy cabbage
  • Using a Y shaped vegetable peeler shave wafer thin slices ot Savoy cabbage stem from the outside of the cabbage, including parts of the leaf structure so you get little 'trees'. Set a few Savoy cabbage 'trees' aside.
  • Repeat process with red cabbage.
  • Steep the pieces of cabbage in pickling liquid for half an hour. The red cabbage will turn the Savoy cabbage pink.
  • Steep remaining Savoy cabbage 'trees' in pickling liquid for half an hour (without red cabbage).
To make kale seaweed
  • Remove stalks from kale/cabbage and finely chop the leaves.
  • Heat oil in a pan until slightly smoking.
  • Deep fry shredded kale for 30 seconds.
  • Drain on kitchen paper and sprinkle with salt.
To make the grapefruit 'pearls' and sliced yellow beetroot
  • The pearls are the tiny vesicles within the grapefruit segments. If you separate grapefruit segments and remove the membrane covering them, you will see the 'pearls'. I find they can be liberated quite easily by gently rubbing the grapefruit segment between your finger and thumb.
  • Scrub the outside of the beetroot and then slice finely on a mandolin.
Assemble all the ingredients and squeeze lemon/lime juice over.

DSCF2673.jpg

Love your pictures, this looks amazing. It does look like it's made by a chef in a fancy restaurant. I find the combinations interesting and would love to eat this when served to me, but I don't feel like attempting to make it myself.

Thank you so much for yet another creative use of ingredients. That's the kind of contribution I want to make to the forum where I can create things out of what's leftover and present them on a plate right here.

Back
Top Bottom