Recipe Smoky Courgette Dip

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
11:52 AM
This is a wondrous thing. Not only is it easy to make and very delicious, its also super-low in calories! Before adding the olive oil, a serving (this whole bowlful) is approx. 50 kcals. So if you serve it with celery and carrots to dip, its a truly skinny starter or snack. But beware - if you add just 1/2 tbsp of olive oil it will add another 50 kcals! Its fine without it. I added it as much for visual effect as anything.

IMGP1268.jpg

IMGP1257.jpg

Ingredients (serves 1 or 2)
1 large courgette
4 fat cloves of garlic
1 level tbsp Greek style yoghurt
Topping (optional): olive oil, pumpkin seeds, toasted pine-nuts, paprika, sesame seeds.

Method
  • Heat the oven to 190C and roast the whole unpeeled courgette on a baking sheet, until the skin blackens (approx. 1 hr). Alternatively, grill (broil) the whole unpeeled courgette, turning several times until the skin blackens, (approx. 45 mins).
  • While the courgette is cooking place the cloves of garlic (skin on) in a cast iron or non stick frying pan over a low heat and toast, turning once, until the cloves have softened and the skins are scorched, (approx.15 mins).
  • Split open the courgette and scrape out every scrap of flesh with a spoon. The flesh closest to the skin has the best flavour. Peel the garlic cloves.
  • Blitz the courgette flesh, garlic and yoghurt to a smooth texture.
  • Add salt to taste and toppings as desired.
IMGP1264.jpg

Last edited:
Strangely on my menu this week is a smokey aubergine dip which is made with very similar ingredients but also includes smoked paprika. This looks great btw.

Any reason for not including the skins other than the charcoal colour they would add?

Strangely on my menu this week is a smokey aubergine dip which is made with very similar ingredients but also includes smoked paprika. This looks great btw.

Any reason for not including the skins other than the charcoal colour they would add?
Aubergine dip is the basis of the famous Baba Ganoush and I often make that too. I hadn't thought of including the skins. I think I thought 'too much charred stuff'. I might try it next time.

This is a wondrous thing. Not only is it easy to make and very delicious, its also super-low in calories! Before adding the olive oil, a serving (this whole bowlful) is approx. 50 kcals. So if you serve it with celery and carrots to dip, its a truly skinny starter or snack. But beware - if you add just 1/2 tbsp of olive oil it will add another 50 kcals! Its fine without it. I added it as much for visual effect as anything.

View attachment 3018

View attachment 3016

Ingredients (serves 1 or 2)
1 large courgette
4 fat cloves of garlic
1 level tbsp Greek style yoghurt
Topping (optional): olive oil, pumpkin seeds, toasted pine-nuts, paprika, sesame seeds.

Method
  • Heat the oven to 190C and roast the whole unpeeled courgette on a baking sheet, until the skin blackens (approx. 1 hr). Alternatively, grill (broil) the whole unpeeled courgette, turning several times until the skin blackens, (approx. 45 mins).
  • While the courgette is cooking place the cloves of garlic (skin on) in a cast iron or non stick frying pan over a low heat and toast, turning once, until the cloves have softened and the skins are scorched, (approx.15 mins).
  • Split open the courgette and scrape out every scrap of flesh with a spoon. The flesh closest to the skin has the best flavour. Peel the garlic cloves.
  • Blitz the courgette flesh, garlic and yoghurt to a smooth texture.
  • Add salt to taste and toppings as desired.
View attachment 3017

@morning glory

Fantastic .. I shall go get courgettes at the Market tomorrow .. Simply amazingly surely. Sort of a Babaghanouj but with Courgettes. And I need pinenuts. And some Moroccan type Pita bread to dip with ..

Thank you for posting ..

@SatNavSaysStraightOn

Aubergine skins are a bit bitter coupled by the seeds of the Aubergine. Courgette skins lesser so, however, the color would surely be quite a bit darker ..

Truly looks wonderful !! I shall go get some courgettes tomorrow.

Have a lovely evening.

@morning glory

Not the best photography however, it was delicious ! The Photo is a little dark ..

Interesting that mine is a slightly different color than your´s .. It is more of the lightest & palest Green of the interior of the Courgette. This was an extremely quick light dinner at home -- nothing fancy at all ..

You had used a dark colored dish so this is reason for the color variation of the Courgette Hummus .. I used a stoneware greyish beige Antique White Stone small dish ..

I served it in Molds and surrounded it with 2 hard boiled eggs and some canape bread .. In center is a teaspoon of Tarragona Evoo and Smoked Pimentón Sweet, or Smoked Sweet Paprika ..

It was very quick early dinner for the 2 of us ..

COURGETTEhummus20170719_130609.jpg

Last edited:
Fantastic! I love it when someone tries out a recipe and reports back. I like the idea of serving it with hard boiled eggs. :okay:

Last edited:
Fantastic! I love it when someone tries out a recipe and reports back. I like the idea of serving it with hard boiled eggs. :okay:

@morning glory

It paired really wonderfully with the hard boiled egg halves.

Very impromptu .. I had prepared it the night before ( grilled in oven and scooped out all the flesh and combined all the ingredients .. and of course, I pressed out all the liquids from the courgettes ) ..

So, we were anxious to taste test .. And I had 4 eggs and they were going to expire, so I thought why not pair the two !!

All my best.

Last edited by a moderator:

I left the skins in with great results. Thanks! More smokiness....

20170906_190057.jpg

Next time I prepare it, I will use the skins on ..

Shall roast them 1st of course ..

Gorgeous .. Very nice with the hard boiled eggs too and crackers ..

Back
Top Bottom