Spam. Do you love it or hate it?

mjd

Veteran
Local time
12:24 AM
I just saw this photo and was intrigued enough to look into it. Apparently, this is called Spam-musubi (Spam musubi - Wikipedia). I don't care for Spam so I've never tried it.

What say you? Do you love Spam or not?

spam-musubi.jpg

And, here's a funny I saw elsewhere...

spam.png

Love it. really learned to enjoy it living on O'ahu. Spam saimin and a Spam Fried Rice I still make from time to time (low sodium kind). They have a bacon spam and jalapeno one that are really damn good. Hell, even the McDonalds in the Hawaiian islands serve spam, lol.

The Musubi, are quick breakfasts for a lot of folks. Even grab them out of the hot holder at the local 7-11 convenience stores. Rice (filler) Spam (salty meat) Nori (savory) it's not a bad little snack.

I just saw this photo and was intrigued enough to look into it. Apparently, this is called Spam-musubi (Spam musubi - Wikipedia). I don't care for Spam so I've never tried it.

What say you? Do you love Spam or not?

View attachment 55908

And, here's a funny I saw elsewhere...

View attachment 55909

I do not buy or use Spam, but have had Musubi in a good Hawaiian restaurant that I have frequented. Musubi is apparently a big special item in Hawaiian cuisine.

Reactions: mjd
I do not buy or use Spam, but have had Musubi in a good Hawaiian restaurant that I have frequented. Musubi is apparently a big special item in Hawaiian cuisine.
I don't know about special, per se. It's ubiquitous throughout the islands and a staple in a lot of diets. I found it best after a night of drinking, and dipped in a little teriyaki sauce. Only time I ever really did rice with breakfast was for the occasional Loco Moco. Hard to get a days work don after one of those. Belly. BUSTAH'!

We have had a couple of Hawaiian places pop up in my area, but the never last. Not sure why really. I have a concept that I wanted to do as a lunch truck, menu and plans done...then COVID happened, so to the back burner it went.

I don't know about special, per se. It's ubiquitous throughout the islands and a staple in a lot of diets. I found it best after a night of drinking, and dipped in a little teriyaki sauce. Only time I ever really did rice with breakfast was for the occasional Loco Moco. Hard to get a days work don after one of those. Belly. BUSTAH'!

We have had a couple of Hawaiian places pop up in my area, but the never last. Not sure why really. I have a concept that I wanted to do as a lunch truck, menu and plans done...then COVID happened, so to the back burner it went.

There are two Hawaiian Restaurants in my local area with the closest one being the best.

L&L Hawaiian Barbecue

Reactions: mjd
It's as bad (or worse) for you than bacon; salty, fatty, etc.. of course I love it!

In my house Spam is sometimes airfried in slices as a course/dish to go with white rice. We also sometimes have Spam Fries, and as some have mentioned, it's a terrific ingredient as little cubes in fried rice.

In my travels in the Philippines, I saw at one time they had a restaurant chain called SpamJam which was great (now sadly defunct I believe). Think 'McDonalds' but every item has Spam instead of a beef patty.

Spam-Jam-Manila-Philippines.jpg

In Korea, Spam is venerated as some kind of high class luxury food (like processed meat caviar). Hard to believe it is given as gifts to a host in these big boxes. I've also seen massive hampers in my travels like picnic baskets overflowing with tins of Spam.

spam kr.jpeg

20200921000607_0.jpg

I don't know honestly. I have a bad memory from it from childhood and never tried it since.

We were in Germany in a restaurant and I was about 7 years old and a picky eater, and didn't dare try anything on the menu. So my dad said I would probably like the Spam & bratkartoffelen (fried potatoes) because he said it tasted just like ham. I thought that would be ok, so I then got a wagon wheel of spam (Germans don't do small portions) and I knew with the first bite I hated it. But was forced to finish the whole wagon wheel, as I did order it.. Well, that was the first and last time for me.

One of the kids wanted to try Spam.
I cut the turkey spam in (Vegas) dice sized cubes and soaked them in buttermilk for a few hours.
Then rolled in flour, egg wash and Panco crumbs. Fried in oil.
It got a pass.

Back
Top Bottom