Spam. Do you love it or hate it?

Another favorite and crowd -pleaser is the truly delicious Spam Wellington
1611742424129.png

Love it. really learned to enjoy it living on O'ahu. Spam saimin and a Spam Fried Rice I still make from time to time (low sodium kind). They have a bacon spam and jalapeno one that are really damn good. Hell, even the McDonalds in the Hawaiian islands serve spam, lol.

The Musubi, are quick breakfasts for a lot of folks. Even grab them out of the hot holder at the local 7-11 convenience stores. Rice (filler) Spam (salty meat) Nori (savory) it's not a bad little snack.

I didn't know they make a low sodium one. I think my biggest issue with it is the saltiness. Maybe I'll give it another try.

I don't know honestly. I have a bad memory from it from childhood and never tried it since.

We were in Germany in a restaurant and I was about 7 years old and a picky eater, and didn't dare try anything on the menu. So my dad said I would probably like the Spam & bratkartoffelen (fried potatoes) because he said it tasted just like ham. I thought that would be ok, so I then got a wagon wheel of spam (Germans don't do small portions) and I knew with the first bite I hated it. But was forced to finish the whole wagon wheel, as I did order it.. Well, that was the first and last time for me.
My dad was like that too. He often took us to ethnic restaurants and we had to try something we've never had before. I understand it now. At the time...not so much. ;-)

I'm trying to work up the nerve to try it again. Haven't touched it since I was a kid.

My dad was like that too. He often took us to ethnic restaurants and we had to try something we've never had before. I understand it now. At the time...not so much. ;-)

I'm trying to work up the nerve to try it again. Haven't touched it since I was a kid.
Same kind of father we seem to have :hug:

Let me know how it went

Reactions: mjd
It's one of those things that's on my 'to try' list, I'm curious about it. I don't know if they sell it around here but I might look into it further. Next trip to the supermarket it will be on my hunting trail.

Reactions: mjd
I posted this recipe for Spam Gyro Meat a while ago. Now that I look back on it, what surprised me the most was not that people were shocked that I would make something like this. What surprised me by far was how few people knew what a gyro was.

That aside, I have a weird nostalgia about spam. As a single guy without a lot of money, I ate a lot of macaroni and cheese, hotdogs, and spam. Given that kind of variety in my diet, you can understand why I grew to appreciate it. I do like the taste, but it’s not as if I would make a run to the market just to buy some.

You can take just about anything and season it and dress it up and make it taste good. I think it’s the same thing as asking whether or not someone likes hotdogs: they, too, are a combination of mysterious meats that are seasoned and precooked. You don’t have a plain hotdog by itself, do you? For that reason, I’m not sure why most people judge spam straight out of the can, but hotdogs can be smothered under all kinds of toppings, and nobody thinks anything of it. I do think if you treat it properly, spam is not that bad. But, for the record, I only buy all beef hotdogs.

Back
Top Bottom