Spam. Do you love it or hate it?

What surprised me by far was how few people knew what a gyro was.

In the UK, its virtually unheard of as a term. In fact, in the other thread it was noted that those who had visited Greece had never heard the term used there either. We have no Greek members we can check this with...

....but I just found this. Maybe the reason I never heard the term in Greece was because its pronounced 'yeeros'.

A guide to ordering "gyros" in Greece
Ah...yes, i can understand that. You look at the word, and you think it's pronounced like the beginning of gyroscope. Anyone who sees that word would think the same. I was particularly surprised because they're so similar to kebabs, which I know are a popular thing in many parts of the UK (at least, everywhere I've visited, I've seen people walking about with them...it's no mystery that kebab stands are often located near a pub).

Middletown Ohio, which was part of my local(ish) area growing up, and still is today (all of MrsT's docs are in Middletown) has a Greek enclave, so there are several good Greek restaurants there, and Cincy has some Greek immigrants as well, so we actually get the pronunciation for gyros right most of the time.

Just don't ask anyone around here to say "jalapeño" - we've got maybe a 40% success rate with that. :laugh:

Just don't ask anyone around here to say "jalapeño" - we've got maybe a 40% success rate with that. :laugh:

I can say "José Octavio "Chepito" Areas Dávila"

Back
Top Bottom