Recipe Spicy Pinto Bean, Tomato and Basil Soup

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
4:47 AM
A rather easy recipe as its really the blender that does most of the work. I used fresh tomatoes, because I had some rather good ones that needed using up but you could substitute 150g of tinned chopped tomatoes, in which case you might need slightly less water.

Ingredients (serves 2)
250g cooked pinto beans (cooked weight - I used tinned)
2 green chillies of your choice, finely chopped
4 medium large ripe red tomatoes
2 peeled and minced or grated cloves of garlic
4 tbsp red wine
1 tbsp tomato purée
A very large handful of fresh basil, stalks included unless woody
220 ml water
Salt to taste
Plain yoghurt and basil oil to drizzle (optional)

Method
  1. Immerse the tomatoes in boiled water for ten minutes, then plunge into ice-cold water for a few minutes. Remove and peel off the skin, de-seed and remove any pale fleshy parts. Roughly chop.
  2. Place the beans, chopped chilli, garlic, red wine and tomato purée in a blender (I used a stick blender and a large jug). Roughly tear up the basil leaves and stalks and add to the blender with the water.
  3. Blend until smooth. Transfer the soup to a saucepan and simmer for 20 mins to allow the flavours to develop and the wine to ‘cook off’. Add salt, to taste.
  4. Serve drizzled with yoghurt and basil oil.

Last edited:
A rather easy recipe as its really the blender that does most of the work. I used fresh tomatoes, because I had some rather good ones that needed using up but you could substitute 150g of tinned chopped tomatoes, in which case you might need slightly less water.

View attachment 43229

Ingredients (serves 2)
250g cooked pinto beans (cooked weight - I used tinned)
2 green chillies of your choice, finely chopped
4 medium large ripe red tomatoes
2 peeled and minced or grated cloves of garlic
4 tbsp red wine
1 tbsp tomato purée
A very large handful of fresh basil, stalks included unless woody
220 ml water
Salt to taste
Plain yoghurt and basil oil to drizzle (optional)

Method
  1. Immerse the tomatoes in boiled water for ten minutes, then plunge into ice-cold water for a few minutes. Remove and peel off the skin, de-seed and remove any pale fleshy parts. Roughly chop.
  2. Place the beans, chopped chilli, garlic, red wine and tomato purée in a blender (I used a stick blender and a large jug). Roughly tear up the basil leaves and stalks and add to the blender with the water.
  3. Blend until smooth. Transfer the soup to a saucepan and simmer for 20 mins to allow the flavours to develop and the wine to ‘cook off’. Add salt, to taste.
  4. Serve drizzled with yoghurt and basil oil.
View attachment 43230

Not a big soup fan, but I'd try any soup you made, looks delish. :)

Russ

I love tomato basil soup, but it never crossed my mind to add beans -- and pinto beans are a Texas staple food.

CD

Back
Top Bottom