Recipe Spinach Gnocchi with Garlic Sauce

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
11:43 AM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
One of my really old recipes that has stood the test of time. I have had it for well over 20 years now and tbh there is very little in it that can't be changed to make it dairy free... so I have made it dairy free as an alternative.

Ingredients (Serves 4)
600ml/1pt milk (almond milk or soya milk)
1/2 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
175g/6oz fine semolina or cornmeal (polenta)
100g/4oz frozen chopped spinach which as been thawed and squeezed dry
50g/2oz fresh Parmesan (or dairy free alternative)
2 eggs beaten
50g/2oz butter (or dairy free butter)
2 cloves garlic, crushed
salt and pepper to taste

Method
  1. Put the milk in a large pan and bring it slowly to simmering point, then stir in the nutmeg and semolina and cook for 5 minutes stirring constantly until the mixture thickens like porridge.
  2. Add in the spinach, cheese, eggs and seasoning, and spread the mixture over an oiled baking tray (it needs sides) and leave to cool.
  3. Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6.
  4. When firm enough to cut, cut gnocchi mixture into small triangles about 2cm by 2cm square then across the diagonal. Arrange in a baking dish in overlapping rows.
  5. Mix the butter and garlic together, then spread over the gnocchi and kae in the oven for around 15 minutes until sizzling.
  6. For a crisper finish, quickly brown the gnocchi under the grill just before serving. Serve with a touch extra parmesan and a crisp green salad.

I'm interested in this recipe as it is using cornmeal and I'm used to gnocchi made with potato. I like the garlic sauce. Anything is good with garlic sauce.:)

Back
Top Bottom