St. Patrick’s Day 2023

TastyReuben

Nosh 'n' Splosh
Staff member
Local time
1:10 AM
For those who mark the occasion in whatever fashion, what are you doing for St. Patrick’s Day, with particular focus on food and drink?

I already know I’m going to put together a pot of Dublin coddle, haven’t done that before. There will, of course, be some kind of Irish (or locally brewed Irish style) beer, we’ve got Irish whiskey for coffees, and I’m sure I’ll do some kind of Guinness-flavored dessert.

A fun aside: as mentioned earlier, we’re keeping the Christmas tree up and decorating it for different holidays throughout the year. For Valentine’s Day, I ordered a string of pink lights…and the company sent me blue ones.

In preparation for St. Patrick’s Day, I ordered green ones from the same company, they just arrived today, I opened the box…and they’re purple. 🤦🏻‍♂️

Upside is, they let me keep the blue ones for nothing, so I’m hoping they’ll do the same with the purple ones.

I had to look up when St. Patrick's Day is :wacky:
My Mother says that I have some Scots-Irish blood, but just a drop.
My Father was Catholic, but left the Church to marry my Protestant Mother - the original "mixed marriage".
DH & I don't really follow any religious lines.

For those who mark the occasion in whatever fashion, what are you doing for St. Patrick’s Day, with particular focus on food and drink?

I already know I’m going to put together a pot of Dublin coddle, haven’t done that before. There will, of course, be some kind of Irish (or locally brewed Irish style) beer, we’ve got Irish whiskey for coffees, and I’m sure I’ll do some kind of Guinness-flavored dessert.

A fun aside: as mentioned earlier, we’re keeping the Christmas tree up and decorating it for different holidays throughout the year. For Valentine’s Day, I ordered a string of pink lights…and the company sent me blue ones.

In preparation for St. Patrick’s Day, I ordered green ones from the same company, they just arrived today, I opened the box…and they’re purple. 🤦🏻‍♂️

Upside is, they let me keep the blue ones for nothing, so I’m hoping they’ll do the same with the purple ones.
Could only happen to you lol

Russ

I found these at Dollar Tree

IMG_2625.JPG

KA-E-UTE!!!!
I haven't "decorated" our front entry in a year, gotta get on it!

In the UK, where the patron saint is St George - they don´t do it either.
They do now. According to Wikipedia, Birmingham has the third-largest St. Pat’s parade in the world (behind NYC and Dublin), and London has had one since 2002, and even dyed the water in the Trafalgar Square fountains green in 2008. Liverpool and Manchester also get in on it.

Like The Velvet Curtain said, mustn’t let a good money-making opportunity go by! 🍻 ☘️

I will probably feel inspired to prepare a St. Patrick's Day something or other. I have prepared beef brisket in a pressure cooker more than once, and this would be a good excuse to do it again. But, I'm going to avoid the ultra-cheap briskets that show up at grocery stores this time of year. Quality matters.

Back
Top Bottom