St. Patrick’s Day 2023

Here’s our tree, complete with bottles of Guinness:

70C9045C-C7F6-4E9E-8AD0-B2F200D77A55.jpeg

I went to Birmingham once, when I was 19. Never again - which is probably why I haven´t seen the parades!

Dallas has a St Pat's day parade. One year, years ago, a LGBT group wanted to enter a float in the parade, and were denied. The LGBT group took it to court, and won, so pressured by the Southern Baptist Church (based in Dallas), the city cancelled the whole parade.

IIRC, the backlash was HUGE, and the parade retuned -- with an LGBT float.

It was cancelled for a couple of years during the Covid-19 pandemic, but that was public health issue, not a christian politics issue.

CD

I went to Birmingham once, when I was 19. Never again - which is probably why I haven´t seen the parades!

Birmingham has been transformed since then. Apart from the famous balti triangle it has some of the best Michelin starred restaurants (5 in all, I think). Also, the German market at Christmas is spectacular.

Sorry, off topic.

I'd say celebrating St Patrick's day is not really for the majority in the UK and the day for most people would pass unnoticed. Do the Irish in Ireland celebrate it, I wonder?

Do the Irish in Ireland celebrate it, I wonder?
We were cycling through Ireland on St Patrick's day and it was like a scene from the wild west that day. The place was deserted and the only signs of life came from the pub as the doors swung open and we were hit by a wall of sound, then they closed and we could hear everything again. The only thing missing was a ball of tumbleweed.

This is a quote from our journal

Today is also St Patrick's day, so not only was this road totally straight, we were virtually on the only people on it and the villages along it were totally deserted. We had that John Wayne feeling from a Wild West movie, with the twanging guitar in the background and tumbleweed being blown across the road feeling. At one point we really did have the door of a pub opening and the sounds of laughter and music coming out before being cut off again when it shut and us just carrying on.

Wow, I had completely forgotten about St Patrick's Day...it is not much of a celebration here in Croatia...I googled what is the tradition, and I did like the idea of Irish coffee, but I can't tolerate the sugar and the dairy, the alcohol...even with the subs, I would not be doing coffee at all, but nice combo right there...
So, to answer, I don't think I will be doing anything but possibly reading about it, and learning about corned beef and all the great recipes that can come out of that celebration...

What’s interesting about the celebrations in different cities/countries around the world is the recency of them, apart from the US. Our first observation goes all the way back to 1601 (according to Wikipedia).

Looking at others:

London, 2002
Oslo, 2000
Moscow, 1999
Sarajevo, 2015
Glasgow, 2007
Tokyo, 1992

St Patrick’s Day is (again, according to Wikipedia) is celebrated in more countries than any other national festival.

Back
Top Bottom