St. Patrick’s Day 2023

So ahead of St Patrick's day, is St David's day, the Welsh patron saint.
It's celebrated on the 1st March, aka tomorrow for most of us and the rest will soon qualify as tomorrow.

My late Grannie used to make Bara Brith on the day. I came across her recipe for it just last week. I also found her recipe for Welsh Cakes as well.

St David's Day celebration traditions

So is anyone considering St David's Day and celebrating with welsh food?

What’s interesting about the celebrations in different cities/countries around the world is the recency of them, apart from the US. Our first observation goes all the way back to 1601 (according to Wikipedia).

Looking at others:

London, 2002
Oslo, 2000
Moscow, 1999
Sarajevo, 2015
Glasgow, 2007
Tokyo, 1992

St Patrick’s Day is (again, according to Wikipedia) is celebrated in more countries than any other national festival.
In some countries, it's just another excuse to get drunk. Bring on a new holiday that celebrates drinking and eating and drinking some more! Which is why it's becoming more popular in many countries! I'd say it's not likely to catch on in Muslim countries or in other places where alcohol consumption is frowned upon or prohibited...

So ahead of St Patrick's day, is St David's day, the Welsh patron saint.
It's celebrated on the 1st March, aka tomorrow for most of us and the rest will soon qualify as tomorrow.

My late Grannie used to make Bara Brith on the day. I came across her recipe for it just last week. I also found her recipe for Welsh Cakes as well.

St David's Day celebration traditions

So is anyone considering St David's Day and celebrating with welsh food?
The only kind of Welsh food I have ever heard of was rarebit. And never heard of St. David's Day, does it involve drinking? If so I think it should be advertized in the US and become a thing. :laugh:

Never heard of st David day. My bestie is a david, but we call him dafyd the only gay in the Village. I'll ask him if he knows. Tomorrow is pub day.

Russ

The only kind of Welsh food I have ever heard of was rarebit. And never heard of St. David's Day, does it involve drinking? If so I think it should be advertized in the US and become a thing. :laugh:

Never heard of st David day. My bestie is a david, but we call him dafyd the only gay in the Village. I'll ask him if he knows. Tomorrow is pub day.

Russ

Most of my family is Welsh. St David's is the Welsh equivalent of St Patrick's day, St George's day & St Andrew's day.

Can't comment on the alcohol side of things though because I don't really drink.

Likely not doing a thing for it.
There is some great Irish food.. but for me best served on other days.
I remember a time when I dressed in orange for March 17th at work. I don't bother with that, either these years.
I had never heard of that, wearing orange. I had to look it up. I don't affiliate with either Protestant or Catholic so had no idea.

I had never heard of that, wearing orange. I had to look it up. I don't affiliate with either Protestant or Catholic so had no idea.
Orange isn't, or wasn't - it was just all the getting overwhelmed by all the green that had me do that for a few years.

In Ireland, the Catholics who celebrated St Paddy's day wore green. Some Protestants (they weren't all that friendly) wore orange. I'd stopped doing it, but at least in Connecticut it wasn't going to start a fight, and although raised a Catholic I'd become Pagan instead. Probably a silly notion for me back in that day (the orange thing), not my religion.

Dublin coddle set for this weekend, along with some soda bread, of course, and a Guinness vinaigrette for the salad.

Sunday…afternoon tea with some Irish-inspired items, like soda bread scones and little Irish cream puddings/custards.

Back
Top Bottom