Stir Fry with plain Noodles

IMG_0150.JPG

Well damn it all!
Now I want what we call in Hawaii Fried Saimin, but I can't get one of the ingredients ... too bad, I'll make it anyways!

Ah - I'm now wondering if some confusion is arising in the thread due to the word 'noodles'. The UK meaning of this word is any kind of Asian noodles. In the US 'noodles' can also mean pasta. In the UK Italian pasta is never called noodles.

So perhaps the poster was referring to using pasta with a stir-fry?

Ah - I'm now wondering if some confusion is arising in the thread due to the word 'noodles'. The UK meaning of this word is any kind of Asian noodles. In the US 'noodles' can also mean pasta. In the UK Italian pasta is never called noodles.

So perhaps the poster was referring to using pasta with a stir-fry?
In Italy to be designated as a pasta it must be made with durum semolina and absolutely no eggs. In Canada we can buy lasagna noodles or Singapore noodles for example but the lasagna is in the pasta dept. and the Singapore is in the Asian dept. Any pasta made with eggs and all purpose flour or 00 in Canada is called a noodle. The confusion it appears to me in this thread is he wants it as a side dish, not in a stir fry.

Reading it again, I'm actually wondering if the question is better phrased, do the noodles have to be stir fried as well, it can they be "plain" (as in boiled? )
but whenever noodles are incorporated in, the noodles are always stir fried.
Just a thought...

I had said there was another option inn the Vietnamese restaurant I eat in, and that is actually for crispy noodles, that are deep fried, and also for stir fried noodles, as well as the noodles just cooked in or with water/steam.

I suppose Sichuan pepper chicken could be considered stir fry. My wife insists that the cooked noodles (al dente) are added to the wok with the cooked chicken and stirred prior to serving. I don't know why.

If I served Sichuan pepper chicken with rice she considers it perfectly acceptable to keep them separate.

Last edited:
Apparently there aren't enough ways to spell that dish because that looks very much like the "pad se-eaw" served in the Thai restaurants around here.

All Thai words/phrases are spelt when using the Roman alphabet in the manner that the translator deems to be correct in his/her opinion.

The correct spelling, I'm informed is ผัดซีอิ๊ว.

:happy:
:happy::happy:

All Thai words/phrases are spelt when using the Roman alphabet in the manner that the translator deems to be correct in his/her opinion.

The correct spelling, I'm informed is ผัดซีอิ๊ว.

:happy:
:happy::happy:
There's always a danger when I try to order food that I might pronounce the dish in a way that translates to "your mother is an antelope".

In Italy to be designated as a pasta it must be made with durum semolina and absolutely no eggs. In Canada we can buy lasagna noodles or Singapore noodles for example but the lasagna is in the pasta dept. and the Singapore is in the Asian dept. Any pasta made with eggs and all purpose flour or 00 in Canada is called a noodle. The confusion it appears to me in this thread is he wants it as a side dish, not in a stir fry.

Well, in the UK (rightly or wrongly) its all called pasta if its the Italian type, whether or not it contains eggs and its all labelled 'pasta' on the packet.

I'm still unsure whether the original poster was referring to Italian type pasta or Asian noodles. 🤷‍♀️

Well, in the UK (rightly or wrongly) its all called pasta if its the Italian type, whether or not it contains eggs and its all labelled 'pasta' on the packet.

I'm still unsure whether the original poster was referring to Italian type pasta or Asian noodles. 🤷‍♀️
Really I thought he was pretty clear when saying he wanted the noodles they normally use in stir fries as just a side dish. Which when you look at most if not all Asian restaurant menu's don't offer that like they do with rice for example.

Really I thought he was pretty clear when saying he wanted the noodles they normally use in stir fries as just a side dish. Which when you look at most if not all Asian restaurant menu's don't offer that like they do with rice for example.

I expect you are correct. However this new member has only posted the once so they are not around to confirm that.

as just a side dish
I'm not even certain how anyone came to the side dish conclusion because the OP never once mentions side dish, only when to add noodles during cooking (stir frying) and that when rice is used for the same dish instead of noodles, the rice is separate and implied not stir fried, so why can noodles not be stir fried.

Wanted to get everyone's opinion: has anyone tried eating Asian style stir fry (veggies or meat) with plain wheat noodles? I know they commonly serve it with plain white rice but whenever noodles are incorporated in, the noodles are always stir fried. So what do you guys think? Does it make sense to serve stir fry with plain white noodles? How come Asian restaurants never serve it that way?

Back
Top Bottom