Local time
8:17 PM
Website
absolute0cooking.com
C5002E5E-9395-4A18-AF27-35FC0E7A223E.jpeg

There are some interesting things about making your own mustard:
  1. it will be spicier than the kind you buy at a store
  2. it will also be more bitter.
The reason for both of those things is because cracking open a mustard seed releases something intensely flavorful. While I have seen some mustard recipes that indicate that sugar is optional, I think it’s necessary to temper the bitterness.

I was surprised at how spicy the mustard ended up being. Fortunately, I like spicy things.

Ingredients

1/2 cup mustard seeds
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup beer (I used a white ale)
1/4 teaspoon allspice
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon sugar

Directions

1. Place mustard seeds in your armadillo shaped mortar.

3C1C154F-7105-4887-BCE4-B6BE07AB2AB6.jpeg

2. Grind mustard seeds for 2 minutes to break open some of the seeds.

78A053E2-D803-4495-B56A-61B55FBEACF5.jpeg

3. Add vinegar and beer, allowing the foam to subside.

B433DE07-3F8B-4AD1-B1DD-DBFF37E4255E.jpeg

4. Sprinkle on the salt, sugar, and allspice. Mash all of it together for a few more minutes.

6AEAD155-78F1-4983-BFB5-C2BACE8D900E.jpeg

5. Place everything from the mortar into a glass jar. Mix ingredients together. Seal jar, and place in refrigerator for at least 24 hours.

7CC64A9B-2A47-4CBA-9A22-19B6121A4D27.jpeg

6. Open jar, and mix any separated ingredients together, scraping any bits of mustard from the side of the jar.

7. Use mustard as a component of a recipe for the cooking challenge if desired.

Well done for making your own mustard. I was reading up about it and got put off because of the fact it is supposed to mature to get rid of the bitterness. I'll try to find the article I was reading.

I was going to make a mustard sauce for a curry - which is a bit like making mustard. I basically followed instructions from an Indian website but ended up with something far too bitter to use. I soaked the seeds overnight first.

View attachment 29071

There are some interesting things about making your own mustard:
  1. it will be spicier than the kind you buy at a store
  2. it will also be more bitter.
The reason for both of those things is because cracking open a mustard seed releases something intensely flavorful. While I have seen some mustard recipes that indicate that sugar is optional, I think it’s necessary to temper the bitterness.

I was surprised at how spicy the mustard ended up being. Fortunately, I like spicy things.

Ingredients

1/2 cup mustard seeds
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup beer (I used a white ale)
1/4 teaspoon allspice
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon sugar

Directions

1. Place mustard seeds in your armadillo shaped mortar.

View attachment 29072

2. Grind mustard seeds for 2 minutes to break open some of the seeds.

View attachment 29073

3. Add vinegar and beer, allowing the foam to subside.

View attachment 29074

4. Sprinkle on the salt, sugar, and allspice. Mash all of it together for a few more minutes.

View attachment 29075

5. Place everything from the mortar into a glass jar. Mix ingredients together. Seal jar, and place in refrigerator for at least 24 hours.

View attachment 29076

6. Open jar, and mix any separated ingredients together, scraping any bits of mustard from the side of the jar.

7. Use mustard as a component of a recipe for the cooking challenge if desired.

Kudos for thinking outside the box @The Late Night Gourmet . When I chose mustard, I most certainly had in mind recipes for creating your own mustard. I will bet very few people would guess "mustard" if you asked them to identify the ingredient from the photo. Well done my friend!!!

Back
Top Bottom