Storing Cilantro (Coriander) and Parsley

ElizabethB

Guru
Recipe Challenge Judge
Local time
3:38 AM
IDK about you but I have a problem with keeping Cilantro (Coriander) and Parsley fresh in the fridge. I rarely need a full bunch. I stumbled upon this trick.
Trim the stems. Put the bunch in a jar with water. Cover with a zip bag and secure with a rubber band or twist tie.
20210502_104738.jpg

Store in the fridge.
Sorry the picture was not edited. You can get the drift.

Last edited:
Yorky was commenting on preserving coriander recently see here.

Did you update us on how it went Yorky?

You've reminded me to check. Being in the fridge at lager temperatures (< 2°C) the water has frozen so I will take it out in the morning and check. It looks presentable.

I shall be knocking up a 1 kg batch of Kolhapuri tomorrow and have plenty of fresh coriander so I doubt whether I shall need it.

IDK about you but I have a problem with keeping Cilantro (Coriander) and Parsley fresh in the fridge. I rarely need a full bunch. I stumbled upon this trick.
Trim the stems. Put the bunch in a jar with water. Cover with a zip bag and secure with a rubber band or twist tie.
View attachment 62581
Store in the fridge.
Sorry the picture was not edited. You can get the drift.
I do the same thing, but cheap out and just use the produce bag that the stuff came in..parsley gets used quickly but the corriander can rot and get slimy in the water so I change it ever couple of days..

That's exactly what I do, and I lay it out and pick out the ones already looking a little past it, just so they don't encourage the others around them to follow their bad example. It lasts weeks that way.

I trim the stems by cutting with scissors, not a knife, just like you would treat cut flowers. Thoroughly wash the leaves, stick them in some water, put some paper towels down on the counter, let the leaves dry, then cover with a plastic bag and refrigerate. They usually last for at least 2 weeks, if not a week or so more.

I did trim the stems with scissors. The Parsley and Coriander (Cilantro) have been in the fridge 2 days. I changed the water today.

You've reminded me to check. Being in the fridge at lager temperatures (< 2°C) the water has frozen so I will take it out in the morning and check. It looks presentable.

I was being somewhat optimistic there. It was in the fridge in a semi-sealed container for 23 days. I defrosted it this morning and took out a few leaves. It may be adequate for stirring into a curry but no use as garnish. I didn't taste it.

In my opinion it was another of my failed experiments.

It would have been insufficient for my Kolhapuri today anyway, I needed 5 bunches.

I was being somewhat optimistic there. It was in the fridge in a semi-sealed container for 23 days.

When you said fridge before I hadn't realised it was frozen. I sometimes buy ready chopped frozen coriander. I originally received some 'by accident' (it was substituted on an on-line grocery order for fresh). I didn't have high hopes but tipped some into a curry right at the end of cooking. It was really good and added a lovely flavour dimension. Quite different from simply using it sprinkled over the top. So now I buy it sometimes as well as the fresh.

When you said fridge before I hadn't realised it was frozen. I sometimes buy ready chopped frozen coriander. I originally received some 'by accident' (it was substituted on an on-line grocery order for fresh). I didn't have high hopes but tipped some into a curry right at the end of cooking. It was really good and added a lovely flavour dimension. Quite different from simply using it sprinkled over the top. So now I buy it sometimes as well as the fresh.

It was fresh before I covered it with water. The fridge is set at 2°C at the present time to keep the lager cold and it froze over.

I always stir coriander into a "wet" curry after taking it off the heat. Should I be cooking a dry(ish) curry (potatoes, cauliflower, mushrooms, etc.) I sprinkle it as a garnish, viz:

Back
Top Bottom