Strangest Eggs...

Elementalmage

Veteran
Local time
8:01 PM
What are the strangest eggs you ever saw being called for in a recipe? Call me one-dimensional but I can't get any egg other than chicken over my lips.

The only eggs I ever eat or use are those from a chicken. I don't think I have ever seen a recipe that called for any strange eggs. In fact, I don't know what the difference would be concerning the type of eggs to be used in a recipe.

Quails egg, have used them for mini scotch eggs , poached them into quails and sherry consommé
Boiled with sea salt , fried as a garnish

I have to say I find it strange that people are often quite happy to eat the cheapest hamburger around without any knowledge of what is in it but then won't eat something 'different' that is totally natural and it is only that today's society (that they are in) does not acknowledge these products that they turn their nose up at them. I'm not saying that this is the case here, but why won't you eat anything other then hen's eggs? I guess you don't drink anything other than cow's milk wither?

So to answer your question, not that I find them strange but, quail, pheasant, bantam....

I used to have friends who had bantams and I used to eat those eggs daily. 2 per hen's egg was roughly the equivalent in recipes and they were much tastier than hens eggs.

I eat ducks eggs pretty much every day now because my landlady has 2 ducks and they have gone off eating the eggs. 2 ducks lay 2 eggs every day and 14 eggs a week is a lot of eggs when you are not eating them.

My local supermarket sells blue shelled hens eggs which are really tasty but they only get purchased when we need eggs and when they are reduced.

I have considered trying a goose egg, but the cost puts me off more than anything else, £6.99 per egg is not going to get me buying them any time soon!

Last edited:
Plovers eggs and pheasants eggs were once eaten regularly in the area I live , speaking to a old local chap tonight on the subject , he said that plovers eggs if in a symectrical pattern with 4 in the set were fertilised and were not touched, they were athe egg of choice

I like quail eggs when I'm making appetizers for certain styles of party. They're adorable & delicious. Two things that basically define appetizer for me. Pairing them sunny side up with smoked salmon on a crostini is the easiest thing I can quickly whip up. Not to mention miniature deviled eggs or sausage/hard boiled quail egg/mustard. I try to never be afraid of making old mainstays with new things.

£6.99 per egg? Oh my word, that's extortionate! I take it that geese don't lay as frequently as hens then?
I honestly have no idea. They can be quite viscous, so perhaps there is a risk cost involved, but tbh I think a lot of it is novelty. They are huge. Perhaps if it was £1.99 an egg I might be persuaded to try one as a special event, but even so it would be a one off even at £1.99. At £6.99 I can't see that they sell many at all!

Chicken obviously! And Duck easily available within my village. Quail which requires a cycle ride of 7 mile..ish. Flavour isn't good enough to warrant the journey just for the eggs and there not particular cheap. Duck has a little bit more flavour and a decent size worth paying the extra.

I believe you can buy Ostrich eggs although I have never seen them available.

Never actually seen Pheasant eggs for sale, I prefer their mummy's and Daddy's!

I honestly have no idea. They can be quite viscous, so perhaps there is a risk cost involved, but tbh I think a lot of it is novelty. They are huge. Perhaps if it was £1.99 an egg I might be persuaded to try one as a special event, but even so it would be a one off even at £1.99. At £6.99 I can't see that they sell many at all!
Had a fight with Goose over Apples once. I gave in and let him have the bucket full. Luckily I had bought 2 buckets and he left me alone while he got on with the first bucket full. I should have known there was going to be trouble as there was not a single apple on the ground..in an orchard!

Last edited:
"Thousand year old" eggs and "balut" are a couple of Asian ones that I've seen foreigners really struggle with. The former is horrible, but the latter is not TOO bad.

Never tried one but I would give it ago. A family breakfast all in one!

Back
Top Bottom