3) Coconut flakes - 1/8 cup
4) Vanilla yogurt - 1/8 cup
5) Eggs - 2
6) Sugar, fine powdered - 3 tblspns.
7) Rum - 2 tblspns.
8) Ice - 2 cubes

Procedure:

-- Starting preparation --

1) Remove the stems from all the strawberries.

-- Strawberry Coconut Meringue --

NOTE: There are three types of meringues, Swiss, French and Italian. This meringue is patterned after the Italian version. It requires creating a hot sugar ball or puree and blending it rapidly with the separated and whipped egg whites. An electric blender is the only way to go, as the hot sugar ball or puree will cook the egg white upon contact and it is desirable to get the mixture consistantly blended.

2) In a blender, puree 4 Oz. of strawberries with coconut milk.
3) Heat the puree in a shallow pan and slowly stir in the fine sugar.
4) Separate the egg whites from the eggs.

NOTE: Set the yolks aside for some other purpose, but use them, hopefully, the same day.

5) Whip the egg whites in a blender.
6) While the egg whites are being whipped, pour in the heated puree.
7) Pour out the meringue into a small bowl and set aside.

NOTE: This is not easy. Too much liquid in the mix will prevent the meringue from whipping up into a good shapable topping. If you spoil it, pour what you have into a sauce pan and heat it to thicken it up and use that. Else, start over and try again.

-- Dessert Cup Preparation --

8) Chop, puree and cook 6 Oz. of strawberries.
9) Set aside and cool to room temperature.
10) Chop up another 6 oz. of strawberries.
11) Mix the chopped strawberries with coconut flakes.
12) Pour the strawberry puree into the bottom of a dessert cup.
13) Cover with vanilla yogurt.
14) Crush the 2 ice cubes.
15) Mixed the chopped strawberries, coconut flakes and crushed ice.
16) Add the mix over the yogurt.
17) Add the 2 tblspns. of rum and about 4 Oz. of coconut milk.
18) Spoon in the meringue to top off the crush.
19) Serve.

Well done for attempting Italian meringue! I confess I've never attempted it myself. I note in the recipe instructions, the meringue is spooned on the top, yet in the photo it looks like the topping is pink... :scratchhead:

Well done for attempting Italian meringue! I confess I've never attempted it myself. I note in the recipe instructions, the meringue is spooned on the top, yet in the photo it looks like the topping is pink... :scratchhead:

For a first attempt, I slightly messed it up by adding too much heated strawberry coconut sugar mix to the whites as I whipped them. I've found you need to have a careful eye for what happens as you add the mix and hold back once things get just right. The mix must be very hot and thickened.

It should have looked pink, a combination of strawberry, egg white, powdered sugar and coconut milk. I expected that when I started and it came out as expected. I just muffed it by adding almost all the mix I prepared, before realizing the need to take care how much.

I suppose I need to make a post in what have you learned about cooking thread, regarding the three types of meringues, Italian in particular, and how the egg white itself does not whip up well without the sugar and other ingredients. And that the liquidity of the added stuff needs to be watched carefully.

It should have looked pink, a combination of strawberry, egg white, powdered sugar and coconut milk.

Sorry - totally my mistake! I just re-read the recipe and realise you used a fruit purée to make the meringue and intended it to be pink. Technically this shouldn't work as a 'meringue' will not hold peaks if a purée is used. But maybe I'm not understanding...

Sorry - totally my mistake! I just re-read the recipe and realise you used a fruit purée to make the meringue and intended it to be pink. Technically this shouldn't work as a 'meringue' will not hold peaks if a purée is used. But maybe I'm not understanding...

I wouldn't have known whether it would work or not, without trying.

Back
Top Bottom