Recipe Strawberry ice cream with meringue cookies and strawberry syrup

LissaC

Legendary Member
Local time
9:33 AM
Image from iOS (158).jpg

Another ice cream creation of my own. Strawberry meringue ice cream is an ice cream flavor sold by a popular ice cream brand and it's one of my favorites. I tried to recreate it at home with less sugar and fresh ingredients. On top of that, I still had 6 egg whites in the freezer from making ice cream with custard base (never want to do it again, I hate having to deal with the egg whites) and used it for meringue cookies but because I don't like meringue all that much, this ice cream was a perfect way to use it.

- 250g strawberries + 1 tablespoon sugar + juice of 1 lemon
- 400g cream (mine were lactose free)
- 200ml milk (mine was lactose free)
- pinch of salt
- 30g corn syrup
- 30g table sugar
- 1 tablespoon vodka
- 0,9g xanthan gum
- 0,9g guar gum
- meringue cookies, as much as you want

Before you start with the cooking you can get the ice cream container and the meringue cookies in the freezer, so everything is perfectly chilled when you add the ice cream.

1. Hull strawberries and slice in half. Add lemon juice and sugar, mix and let it sit on the fridge for 1 hour.
2. Put strawberries on a sieve and mash them; reserve.
3. For the strawberry syrup: get the juices from macerating the strawberry on a pan, taste and add sugar if needed. Simmer for 5 minutes until sugar is dissolved.
4. Mix guar gum with xanthan gum.
5. Get cream, milk, corn syrup, sugar and salt on a blender in low speed. Slowly incorporate the gums to the vortex in the blender. Blend 3 - 5 minutes in medium speed.
6. Get the mix on a pan and let it simmer, mixing every now and then.
7. After cooling a bit, add mashed strawberries and 1 tablespoon vodka and get it on a blender around 30 seconds in high speed.
8. Get the mix on a pan and cover with plastic film tightly around the mix. Let it cool in the fridge, ideally until the temperature is 4ºC or below.
9. Churn, add meringue cookies after churning and get it on the freezer.

I shared a couple of tips on how to make ice cream creamy on my coconut raspberry recipe that you can find here.

Happy cooking!

The ice cream looks delicious. Is the fact that you used lactose free milk the reason for using xanthan gum and guar gum?

Thank you :happy: It has more to do with the lack of eggs and low quantity of sugar (this ice cream has around 10% sugar). Hitting the right texture on ice cream is so difficult and my freezer doesn't make it any easier, my freezer gets very icy. Every single no-churn recipe I tried turned rock hard in my freezer. And I don't want to use egg yolks because I don't like to deal with the egg whites and I want to cut back on sugar. So the gums must come into action. This ice cream had perfect texture and was scoopable straight out of the freezer.

Surprisingly, lactose free milk does have lactose but it's supplemented with lactase to make it easier to digest, making it appropriate for lactose intolerant people (and inappropriate for people with dairy allergies), so its effects on ice cream are similar to regular milk.

I wrote more about the reasoning behind my ice cream recipes on my recipe for coconut raspberry ice cream, but the source that really helped me get the ice cream science together and craft my own recipes is The Underbelly blog.

Back
Top Bottom