Strudel pastry - is it difficult to make?

Oh you can count on me not making it, thank you. For one, I don't really have a sweet tooth, and I'm certain I would buy it pre-made if so! But Timenspace will appreciate your tips I'm sure.
Strudel doesn't have to be sweet. I occasionally make a cajun chicken strudel that has the trinity besides other things in it, and it's served with a homemade BBQ sauce.

You could also make spanakopita as a strudel.

When I make it I use a bread flour that has a higher gluten and protein content, but you can use an AP or possibly a 00.
Thank you. I was assuming it had to be glutenous, oh and protein you say, good to know. What is a 00?

I might be doing a regular strudel for my daughter, but will later deviate in doing one for me, using wholegrainflour or other flours...

Mod. Comment: This thread was moved from another thread because its turned into a wider discussion about how difficult or not it is to make this type of dough.

On a personal note, I think I said before that using whole grain won't work. You simply can't get the thin layers. Maybe someone can prove me wrong but I've yet to see wholegrain puff pastry or filo.
I just need to try to make something I can also eat...maybe not wholegrain, maybe some other flour...I've had a filo similar pastry from a biobio shop, like a snack, i do not remember what flour they used, it was not as britle as the regular filo, and ws yellower, rather soft and flexible, but not as soft as I imagine the strudel dough needs to...

i am currently out of apples, they will arrive monday, so perhaps i shall try something then...

Not properly because I've never made filo before. Filo to me is too time consuming and finicky and the few times I've ever used a filo dough I just brought in from our suppliers. As far as the dough is concerned the main difference are eggs, strudel use eggs.
marked. i do not like filo as much, so i will keep chasing strudel. filo is available in every store here and it is deent, really, very often used for both sweet and savoury pies. it is almost a traditional thing here, due to the Austrian influences. however, the bakeries sell the filo pastries in a deteriorated way, which i do not like really, and now tht i am out of eating white flour, i do not buy them any more. no loss. evene the fillings are messed up, there is no fruit in it really, just a mash of something in the approximate colour.
the only variation i like is the punpkin pita, but it is with an entirely different dough, very soft...juicy and delicious, pumpkin and cheese, i think i wrote about it here some time ago, as i am off dairy too.
of course, one should and could go to a decent patisserie and find good strudel. or to a restaurant. i did neither for a long time, as am off sugar, so it is a great opportunity to learn something new.

It's actually not that difficult to make. I use to make a traditional apple strudel years ago and didn't make any for years until recently. I made a strudel dough with apples and cherries in an appetizer for foie gras recently and I fumbled a little but the mistakes are easily hidden, so it's easy to get better the more times you do it. I would suggest using a cloth to manipulate the dough, it moves easier and doesn't stick.
oh yes, i have seen my ex mother in law do that, it is a big tradition in neighbouring Bosnia and she married in Bosnia and got really good at it.

How many times have your tried to make strudel? If your a complete novice then it may feel daunting and I'd almost still argue that it's still doable and should be tried. Like I said the mistakes are being buried and dusted with icing sugar and I see no excuse not to give it a try and I'd say it's easier than most pastry for that reason. Live adventurously I say. :dance:
Yesss!

Strudel doesn't have to be sweet. I occasionally make a cajun chicken strudel that has the trinity besides other things in it, and it's served with a homemade BBQ sauce.

You could also make spanakopita as a strudel.
Yeah, I've used filo to make savory dishes before. Never done anything with a strudel.

Thank you. I was assuming it had to be glutenous, oh and protein you say, good to know. What is a 00?

I might be doing a regular strudel for my daughter, but will later deviate in doing one for me, using wholegrainflour or other flours...
00 is what is generally used for noodle pasta dough. I've never used it but it is close to the higher protein bread flour, so it may work but not sure. I'll stick with bread flour.

marked. i do not like filo as much, so i will keep chasing strudel. filo is available in every store here and it is deent, really, very often used for both sweet and savoury pies. it is almost a traditional thing here, due to the Austrian influences. however, the bakeries sell the filo pastries in a deteriorated way, which i do not like really, and now tht i am out of eating white flour, i do not buy them any more. no loss. evene the fillings are messed up, there is no fruit in it really, just a mash of something in the approximate colour.
the only variation i like is the punpkin pita, but it is with an entirely different dough, very soft...juicy and delicious, pumpkin and cheese, i think i wrote about it here some time ago, as i am off dairy too.
of course, one should and could go to a decent patisserie and find good strudel. or to a restaurant. i did neither for a long time, as am off sugar, so it is a great opportunity to learn something new.
Are you saying you have a medical problem eating some flours? Maybe I missed that part.

Are you saying you have a medical problem eating some flours? Maybe I missed that part.
yes, i cannot eat white flour products. from several perspectives. a few months ago i went gluten free for a while, but it is now better, i do not have to be gluten free, but i have to use other flours. which i consider not to be a problem at all. luckilymany are available, and as long as i know what is good for me and what is not, i am good to go.

yes, i cannot eat white flour products. from several perspectives. a few months ago i went gluten free for a while, but it is now better, i do not have to be gluten free, but i have to use other flours. which i consider not to be a problem at all. luckilymany are available, and as long as i know what is good for me and what is not, i am good to go.
Well 00 is as white as it gets then. Also all flour has as part of it's makeup white flour. Try bread flour, it's what is used and people get the best results with.

Well 00 is as white as it gets then. Also all flour has as part of it's makeup white flour. Try bread flour, it's what is used and people get the best results with.
thank you, yes, will do so, my kid will eat it, no problem.
it is funny, when i eat something that has white flour in it, but i have not read it, my body feels it for me. but i am fine.as it is usually a smaller part that i can deal with.

Timenspace, I read that rice paper made with rice flour makes a good substitute.

I know you posted that you are no longer gluten free, but if you can use gluten free flours with no problems, I found something that might interest you:
Gluten Free Multi-Purpose Pastry Perfect for Strudels

If that won't open let me know and I will try to find another link or will copy/paste a recipe for you.

Ok I just noticed the recipe calls for full fat milk and you said you have issues with dairy? Hmmm.

Back
Top Bottom