Strudel pastry - is it difficult to make?

Timenspace, I read that rice paper made with rice flour makes a good substitute.

I know you posted that you are no longer gluten free, but if you can use gluten free flours with no problems, I found something that might interest you:
Gluten Free Multi-Purpose Pastry Perfect for Strudels

If that won't open let me know and I will try to find another link or will copy/paste a recipe for you.

Ok I just noticed the recipe calls for full fat milk and you said you have issues with dairy? Hmmm.
Woww, so nice of you! Oh I will have to find a milk sub then, yes, but let me see if I can open it....

I saw that too but didn't think it looked very 'strudel flaky'. Rice flour is often used as a substitute for white flour in gluten free. It has to be very finely milled and you need to add xanthum gum or something else to create structure. I don't know how available these ingredients are in Croatia. I've tried on several occasions to bake using gluten free flours (my son's girlfriend went gluten free when he was living here). To be honest, the results were always disappointing.

I'll attempt my savoury strudel next week sometime using strong bread flour. I'll make only a small amount of dough as garlichead suggests. My work surface is not very big anyway.

I saw that too but didn't think it looked very 'strudel flaky'. Rice flour is often used as a substitute for white flour in gluten free. It has to be very finely milled and you need to add xanthum gum or something else to create structure. I don't know how available these ingredients are in Croatia. I've tried on several occasions to bake using gluten free flours (my son's girlfriend went gluten free when he was living here). To be honest, the results were always disappointing.

I'll attempt my savoury strudel next week sometime using strong bread flour. I'll make only a small amount of dough as garlichead suggests. My work surface is not very big anyway.
I think sometimes people with dietary restrictions are used to some imperfections, it isn't optimal but it's better than the feeling you just ate something disagreeable to your system.

Yeah, I have no idea if she can get xanthum gum either. I have it in my pantry.

Yeah, agreed. While any dough would be welcome when there's macerated cherries and apple inside, most of these will just be a rolled out dough with no stretching involved, which is fine as long as you accept the differences, I'm game to eat anything, well almost anything. Cheers

rice
Timenspace, I read that rice paper made with rice flour makes a good substitute.

I know you posted that you are no longer gluten free, but if you can use gluten free flours with no problems, I found something that might interest you:

If that won't open let me know and I will try to find another link or will copy/paste a recipe for you.

Ok I just noticed the recipe calls for full fat milk and you said you have issues with dairy? Hmmm.
rice flour and buckwheat flour, i say, yes! she talks about using a milk sub and it changing the texture, well, i guess more trying out...however i wonder what she used. hmmm, i have rice drink and oat drink available...if it has to be fatty, then i might add coconut butter, i believe i have a chunk in the fridge still...otherwise i will get whatever needed on sunday, next week, hopefully in person in store...

Yeah, agreed. While any dough would be welcome when there's macerated cherries and apple inside, most of these will just be a rolled out dough with no stretching involved, which is fine as long as you accept the differences, I'm game to eat anything, well almost anything. Cheers
I cannot seem to see the MG post...xanthan is available here, as psyllium and all the new or alternative ingredients, or most of them....it is popular niche with many shops offering...I have never cooked with xanthan before, but possibly will.
i used erythrite, it was fine in the beginning, and at some point, i had to stop using it, as it bothers me digestively severely, so i stopped.
just on the sub front, in general.
i am aware that the sub version of the strudel will not be my dream one, i will do my dream one for kid and other family members, i just want to know the recipe and be able to make it. and the sub version will certainly not be equal in texture or flakiness...but hopefully edible.

well now I see your post. looking forward to your strudel!

I cannot seem to see the MG post...xanthan is available here, as psyllium and all the new or alternative ingredients, or most of them....it is popular niche with many shops offering...I have never cooked with xanthan before, but possibly will.
i used erythrite, it was fine in the beginning, and at some point, i had to stop using it, as it bothers me digestively severely, so i stopped.
i am aware that the sub version of the strudel will not be my dream one, i will do my dream one for kid and other family members, i just want to know the recipe and be able to make it. and the sub version will certainly not be equal in texture or flakiness...but hopefully edible.
That dough should be fine for a strudel in this context, I would eat it for sure. Also just going to mention that butter only has trace amounts of dairy and people that are lactose intolerant can consume butter, it's basically a fat, although virgin coconut oil should work fine. With you able to eat some flours in moderation and you might be intolerant to some degree with dairy it might be an enzymatic problem in the gut making you somewhat carbohydrate sensitive. This is generally derived from a disaccharide problem with ingredients ending in ose like glucose, dextrose, maltose etc. Just thought I'd mention this. I have a similar problem and I'm generally lower carb but not low carb per se.

Maybe start out with a very small batch to see if it works so as to not waste ingredients? Shouldn't be too hard to scale it down?

If I want it, I just but the pastry already frozen. Frozen things to the rescue!! :whistling:
Hey, yeah that's what I would do, but she wants to make it with an alternate flour (no white flour) and no dairy, so that changes things up a bit.

Back
Top Bottom