Recipe Stuffed Onions

Hemulen

Woof-woof
Local time
7:14 PM
Stuffed Onions

Serves 2 | Preparation time ~10 min, cooking time 1 hour

These stuffed, oven-baked onions - with additional garlic - mimic the flavor of French onion soup.

Ingredients
2 medium-sized/large red onions​
6-8 tablespoons of ev olive oil​
10-15 g (0.35-0.53 oz/0.1-0.15 sticks/<1 tablespoon) softened butter​
4-6 cloves of garlic​
2 pieces of wheat bread/toast​
A handful of fresh thyme + a few twigs of thyme (and mint) for garnish​
~0.75 teaspoon salt​
0.3-0.5 teaspoon black pepper​
✧ ~100 g Gruyère cheese​
´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´​
Serving suggestion: 40-55 g (1.4-1.8 oz/6-8 thin slices) Bresaola/air-dried beef and 1 pear to accompany

Instructions

Set the oven to 200°C/400°F, gas mark 6, no fan. Peel the onions and cut the tips/ends off. Halve the onions horizontally (rings visible) and place them cut side up on top of foil on a baking sheet or grid. Season with salt and pepper and drizzle with olive oil. Bake/cook the onions in the oven for 35-40 minutes until soft. Grate the cheese, soften the butter and toast the bread. Scoop the inner parts of the onions into a bowl. Leave the two outermost layers as cups/casings. Mix the scooped onion, a few tablespoons of olive oil, the softened butter, garlic, bread, thyme, ~0,5 teaspoon salt and a pinch of pepper with a hand mixer or blender into a smooth mixture/mush. Fill the onion cups with the mixture and sprinkle a good amount of cheese on top. Cook for 20 minutes until the cheese has melted and got some colo(u)r. Serve with e.g. air-dried beef and sliced pear. Garnish with thyme and mint.

onio_a.png

onio_b.png

Last edited:
Stuffed Onions
View attachment 57079
Serves 2 | Preparation time ~10 min, cooking time 1 hour

These stuffed, oven-baked onions - with additional garlic - mimic the flavor of French onion soup.

Ingredients
2 medium-sized/large red onions​
6-8 tablespoons of ev olive oil​
10-15 g (0.35-0.53 oz/0.1-0.15 sticks/<1 tablespoon) softened butter​
4-6 cloves of garlic​
2 pieces of wheat bread/toast​
A handful of fresh thyme + a few twigs of thyme (and mint) for garnish​
~0.75 teaspoon salt​
0.3-0.5 teaspoon black pepper​
✧ ~100 g Gruyère cheese​
´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´​
Serving suggestion: 40-55 g (1.4-1.8 oz/6-8 thin slices) Bresaola/air-dried beef and 1 pear to accompany

Instructions

Set the oven to 200°C/400°F, gas mark 6, no fan. Peel the onions and cut the tips/ends off. Halve the onions horizontally (rings visible) and place them cut side up on top of foil on a baking sheet or grid. Season with salt and pepper and drizzle with olive oil. Bake/cook the onions in the oven for 35-40 minutes until soft. Grate the cheese, soften the butter and toast the bread. Scoop the inner parts of the onions into a bowl. Leave the two outermost layers as cups/casings. Mix the scooped onion, a few tablespoons of olive oil, the softened butter, garlic, bread, thyme, ~0,5 teaspoon salt and a pinch of pepper with a hand mixer or blender into a smooth mixture/mush. Fill the onion cups with the mixture and sprinkle a good amount of cheese on top. Cook for 20 minutes until the cheese has melted and got some colo(u)r. Serve with e.g. air-dried beef and sliced pear. Garnish with thyme and mint.

View attachment 57082

View attachment 57083

Oh, I really like them :thumbsup:
I’d also add the mint (minced) in the mixture.
Love serving them with sliced pear and air-dried beef

I like the idea of stuffed mushrooms onions. My only thought is that the stuffing mixture looks rather 'mushy' - in fact you used the word 'mush' to describe it. Maybe this works rather like a UK style bread sauce? I'm not sure...

Edited to correct bonkers error!

Last edited:
I like the idea of stuffed onions. My only thought is that the stuffing mixture looks rather 'mushy' - in fact you used the word 'mush' to describe it. Maybe this works rather like a UK style bread sauce? I'm not sure...
Yes, the stuffing is a mushy bread sauce; the intention was to blend all ingredients well together (no hard stems of thyme, no tough bits of red onion and no mouthfeel of garlic), to mix the flavo(u)rs and allow the garlic cook evenly in 20 minutes.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom