Recipe Stuffed Squid with Farro and Zucchini/Summer Squash/Courgette (and Squid Ink)

Mountain Cat

Veteran
Local time
9:58 AM
Website
goatsandgreens.wordpress.com
Farro is a type of wheat derived from Emmer wheat, an ancient type of wheat that is naturally low in gluten, and contains a level of healthy proteins our standard wheat raised in most of the world does not begin to match. Farro has a “nutty” flavor, since it isn’t milled down.

Some people will peel the squid so it has a pure white hue, but I like the purple just as much . There’s no taste or textural difference, just a matter of aesthetic preference.

The squid: When I came upon this squid, which still has its ink, I just had to plot out another stuffed squid recipe. I figured the ink would be best absorbed into a grain, and I’m not particularly fond of stuffing rice into things (other than sushi rolls). The ink will provide a slight additional squid flavor.

stuffed-squid-ready-for-oven.jpg

Prep Time: 55 minutes.
Cook Time: 40 minutes,
Rest Time: Not necessary.
Serves: 2 people – 1 stuffed squid per person.

Squid Stuffed with Farro and Zucchini
  • 2 large intact squid. Reserve the ink if available.
  • 1/2 cup (120 mL) farro. (Sub in Calrose rice, or quinoa, if preferred)
  • 1 zucchini, diced
  • 2 scallions/green onions, de-rooted and diced.
  • Juice of one lemon (divided)
  • 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce (I am partial to Cholula). You can use less, or more. The 1/2 teaspoon provides a definite “tang”.
  • salt and pepper to taste (1/2 teaspoon ground pepper, here, no salt)
  • 1/3 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 tablespoon low sodium tamari (or, coconut aminos).
  • About 1-2 tablespoons butter, sliced into pats.
  • Optional cilantro (coriander leaf) garnish. Or, parsley if you prefer.
Soak the farro for half an hour in hot water to cover, stir once or twice. Hot tap water is fine.

Meanwhile, clean your squid… reserve as much of the ink as you can. (My bag leaked, I lost some, but!) Set the tentacles aside (they can remain inky) then wash the big tubes. Cut off the fins, and put them with the tentacles. Dice up the veggies, the tentacles and fins, place in a bowl. Get that squid ink in there, if you can.

Pre-heat oven to 375 F / 190 C.

Add the juice of half that lemon, the hot sauce, the salt and pepper.

Drain the farro, add in and mix, I found using my hands most effective.

Stuff the squid bodies / tubes. I discovered that there seems to be a block before the stuffing reaches the bottom of the tubes… using my non-dominant hand, I’d squeeze the stuffing down the tube until it reached the bottom, and with the other hand, continued stuffing.

There will be a surplus of stuffing. But hey, fun eating!

Arrange the stuffed squid in your baking pan

Drop the remaining stuffing around the squid.

Squeeze the rest of the lemon juice over the pan’s contents.

Top with a sprinkling of garlic powder – if desired, add more.

Scatter a tablespoon or so of tamari/coconut aminos/soy sauce over the excess stuffing.

Add the butter over the stuffing, to help keep the farro from drying out.

Bake for 40 minutes.

Garnish, serve and enjoy!.

stuffed-squid-logo.jpg

Farro is a type of wheat derived from Emmer wheat, an ancient type of wheat that is naturally low in gluten, and contains a level of healthy proteins our standard wheat raised in most of the world does not begin to match. Farro has a “nutty” flavor, since it isn’t milled down.

Some people will peel the squid so it has a pure white hue, but I like the purple just as much . There’s no taste or textural difference, just a matter of aesthetic preference.

The squid: When I came upon this squid, which still has its ink, I just had to plot out another stuffed squid recipe. I figured the ink would be best absorbed into a grain, and I’m not particularly fond of stuffing rice into things (other than sushi rolls). The ink will provide a slight additional squid flavor.

View attachment 50930

Prep Time: 55 minutes.
Cook Time: 40 minutes,
Rest Time: Not necessary.
Serves: 2 people – 1 stuffed squid per person.

Squid Stuffed with Farro and Zucchini
  • 2 large intact squid. Reserve the ink if available.
  • 1/2 cup (120 mL) farro. (Sub in Calrose rice, or quinoa, if preferred)
  • 1 zucchini, diced
  • 2 scallions/green onions, de-rooted and diced.
  • Juice of one lemon (divided)
  • 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce (I am partial to Cholula). You can use less, or more. The 1/2 teaspoon provides a definite “tang”.
  • salt and pepper to taste (1/2 teaspoon ground pepper, here, no salt)
  • 1/3 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 tablespoon low sodium tamari (or, coconut aminos).
  • About 1-2 tablespoons butter, sliced into pats.
  • Optional cilantro (coriander leaf) garnish. Or, parsley if you prefer.
Soak the farro for half an hour in hot water to cover, stir once or twice. Hot tap water is fine.

Meanwhile, clean your squid… reserve as much of the ink as you can. (My bag leaked, I lost some, but!) Set the tentacles aside (they can remain inky) then wash the big tubes. Cut off the fins, and put them with the tentacles. Dice up the veggies, the tentacles and fins, place in a bowl. Get that squid ink in there, if you can.

Pre-heat oven to 375 F / 190 C.

Add the juice of half that lemon, the hot sauce, the salt and pepper.

Drain the farro, add in and mix, I found using my hands most effective.

Stuff the squid bodies / tubes. I discovered that there seems to be a block before the stuffing reaches the bottom of the tubes… using my non-dominant hand, I’d squeeze the stuffing down the tube until it reached the bottom, and with the other hand, continued stuffing.

There will be a surplus of stuffing. But hey, fun eating!

Arrange the stuffed squid in your baking pan

Drop the remaining stuffing around the squid.

Squeeze the rest of the lemon juice over the pan’s contents.

Top with a sprinkling of garlic powder – if desired, add more.

Scatter a tablespoon or so of tamari/coconut aminos/soy sauce over the excess stuffing.

Add the butter over the stuffing, to help keep the farro from drying out.

Bake for 40 minutes.

Garnish, serve and enjoy!.

View attachment 50931

What a brilliant recipe 👍
Bookmarked!

Back
Top Bottom