Recipe Stuffed Tofu (has pork and shrimp)

aquaticneko

Veteran
Local time
3:58 AM
Okay first of all this recipe is extremely put together. My mom never taught me to use any measurements so it's a little hard for me to say how much of what to put. Forgive me in that regard. The seaonings should be customized according to what you like. In most chinese cooking, we use sugar as a seasoning, so if you want more or less, do so.

What you need:
Block of Tofu, firm tofu only or it wont work!
Minced Pork and shrimp
1 tbsp of Soy sauce and oyster sauce (together, not each!)

seasonings for meat mixture:
1 tbsp, oyster sauce
1 tsp, soy sauce (if you use low sodium add salt)
Pinch, five spice
black pepper to taste
1 tsp, sugar
chili flakes

How to make this:

1) Cut a block of tofu evenly and carefully into about 9 or so equal parts. Use a small paring knife or a grapefruit spoon to cut a cone or a "u" shape out. Depends how much filling you want and how willing you are to handle the tofu without breaking it. This gets easier if you do it alot like me. I like to chop up the parts that you cut out and put them in. Other times I leave them to scramble with eggs. Your choice.
2) Soak these, cut side up in the small mixture of soy sauce and oyster sauce while you mix the stuffing.

3) If the meat is frozen, make sure to drain it properly so you do not get unwanted liquid. Mix the meat together with seasonings. I tend to let the tofu blocks wait for about 5 minutes or so then pour off any excess into the meat mixture. If your mixture is a little runny, you can refrigerate it for a while. Carefully stuff the mixture into the tofu blocks and place them into the refrigerator to firm up. Make sure the tops are fairly flat. I sometimes do this overnight then cook it the next morning.

4) Heat a skillet with just enough oil to coat the pan. Add them carefully when it is hot, not smoking. I put them in on the meat side first to brown them flip them on the base. After browning the tops, they are flipped and a little water is added to help finish steam cooking them. Cover after adding water, and depending on the size and amount you made, they should be done about 15 -10 minutes later.

Thats the recipe. It might seem like a lot of work at first but I thought it was delicious. Alternatively, you could just pop these in the oven and bake them until done. I have even steamed them with vegetables. You are free to experiment with this since I'm a terrible person to write recipes!

That does sound really good. I am not sure how about oyster sauce those..I don't know if you can get that here..Are there any substitutions that could be made? I would like something like this as a different way to make tofu. I like tofu and do have it every once in a while. This seems like a different way to make it and one I would take advantage of. Thanks for posting!

That does sound really good. I am not sure how about oyster sauce those..I don't know if you can get that here..Are there any substitutions that could be made? I would like something like this as a different way to make tofu. I like tofu and do have it every once in a while. This seems like a different way to make it and one I would take advantage of. Thanks for posting!

I think you can probably just use soy sauce then.Is this a thing where you simply cannot get the ingredients? Or shellfish allergy etc? You can usually find oyster sauce in most international aisles.

41ZQBZXVaRL.jpg

I'm pretty sure you can just use soysauce. A friend claims that you can use fish sauce. However, that is a complete other flavor to me. Here are some other options for substitute:
NSWrw.jpg

Just check the international aisle! Or leave it out!

Back
Top Bottom