Supermarket self checkouts, not such a great idea after all?

I've already seen self-checkout removed from CVS and Walgreens pharmacies. So far, the grocery stores have not changed.

I cannot imagine Walmart taking them out, based on how many people use them, and because they would have to pay people to do the work as cashiers. On the other hand, HEB usually has ten or so manned checkout lanes open at a time, and fewer people using self-checkout.

CD

our local Giant installed self-check out stations more than 15 years ago.
about a year ago they removed 5-6 checker lanes and installed more self-check out lanes.

the self-check out lanes / stations are in constant use . . .

however, some people, I have observed individuals who cannot cope with technology . . .

our local Giant installed self-check out stations more than 15 years ago.
about a year ago they removed 5-6 checker lanes and installed more self-check out lanes.

the self-check out lanes / stations are in constant use . . .

however, some people, I have observed individuals who cannot cope with technology . . .

The only problem I have with cashiers is that I use my own big re-usable bags, and cashiers LOVE those little plastic grocery bags (and hate re-usables). They put four items in my re-usable bag, and go right back to using the plastic bags, and put two items in each bag. You leave the store with 20 bags for 30 items.

Other than that, as long as there are enough cashier lanes open, I'm fine with full-service.

CD

The only problem I have with cashiers is that I use my own big re-usable bags, and cashiers LOVE those little plastic grocery bags (and hate re-usables). They put four items in my re-usable bag, and go right back to using the plastic bags, and put two items in each bag. You leave the store with 20 bags for 30 items.

Other than that, as long as there are enough cashier lanes open, I'm fine with full-service.

CD
Other way round in the UK. Bags have a 10p charge so the person on checkout will assume you have your own, you have to ask for bags and can expect from some staff a slightly disapproving look!
But then you also pack your own bags here so tis up to you if you want tins on top of a loaf of bread! 😆

But then you also pack your own bags here so tis up to you if you want tins on top of a loaf of bread! 😆

Most stores here require their cashiers/baggers to bag the groceries, even if you offer to do it. It seems that management sees customers bagging their own groceries as bad customer service.

CD

Most stores here require their cashiers/baggers to bag the groceries, even if you offer to do it. It seems that management sees customers bagging their own groceries as bad customer service.

CD

I went to Lidl here the other day, it was a surprise, never again! They’ve elevated the stakes on packing your own bags to an Olympic sport 😂

They have a really tiny checkout space particularly after the barcode reader which they throw things down as fast as they can. They don’t have bags there and won’t ask you if you have any so you’ll need to push back through the queue to the end to where expensive tarpaulin bags are hidden.

Meanwhile the queue which is much longer than a normal supermarket queue is groaning and the tiny post checkout space is stacked so high you have to pack your groceries on the floor!
After I’d done three back and forth‘s to get my stuff on the tiny conveyer belt and off the jenga piled bagging area I sweatily paid for the shopping to see other shoppers don’t even try, Lidl have a long shelf after the checkouts where people take the items they have quickly shoved in their trolley post Olympic sprint and then pack them after the till!

We have one market that now insists that you bring your own bags. Oh, they'll still bag your goods for you, but if you forget your own bags, it's 20¢ per bag, that they'll again, only put two items in! Granted, they did give fair warning of about two months before instituting the change, but sometimes I still forget.
Personally, I like self-check out.

I'm a HUGE fan of self-checkouts. I used them last year in Kroger's, in Sainsbury's, in Waitrose, in Lidl, in Walgreens, in Boots... I think they're great.
Mind you, it would HAVE to be the Grauniad that came up with the article.
"Hooray! In a world that seems to leap, minute by minute, from one dystopian scenario to another..."
They're criticising themselves, because I have yet to see a more miserable, whining, dystopian bunch of journalists anywhere.
Back at the end of the 90s, I was an HR manager. My job consisted in downsizing, downsizing, downsizing and downsizing (given the advances in computer applications which replaced people left right and centre). That was very sad, but inevitable. What I learned was that change is inevitable. You either get on the bus, or the bus leaves you behind.

I'm a HUGE fan of self-checkouts. I used them last year in Kroger's, in Sainsbury's, in Waitrose, in Lidl, in Walgreens, in Boots... I think they're great.
Mind you, it would HAVE to be the Grauniad that came up with the article.
"Hooray! In a world that seems to leap, minute by minute, from one dystopian scenario to another..."
They're criticising themselves, because I have yet to see a more miserable, whining, dystopian bunch of journalists anywhere.
Back at the end of the 90s, I was an HR manager. My job consisted in downsizing, downsizing, downsizing and downsizing (given the advances in computer applications which replaced people left right and centre). That was very sad, but inevitable. What I learned was that change is inevitable. You either get on the bus, or the bus leaves you behind.

I understand Boots already ditched them.

After a little research, I discovered the real reason self-checkout is going away. What retailers here call "shrinkage," basically theft.

CD

I understand Boots already ditched them.

After a little research, I discovered the real reason self-checkout is going away. What retailers here call "shrinkage," basically theft.

CD
That's what DH said.
Our local Walmart has been hit really hard with this, so much so that they have folks at the exit doors checking everyone's receipt and what's in your cart.

I love self-checkouts for most things. I don’t anticipate them leaving anytime soon. Businesses just need to find that sweet spot of employing less people while cutting down on the crime and simultaneously getting the majority of us to buy into it. :laugh:

Pretty soon, we’ll be stocking the shelves for them as well. :wink:

That's what DH said.
Our local Walmart has been hit really hard with this, so much so that they have folks at the exit doors checking everyone's receipt and what's in your cart.

The Walmart near me sometimes checks receipts at the door, but only people who don't look like me, an old white guy. It used to be worse, but I guess they got enough pressure about it. Seriously, I used to walk right past a line of Black and Hispanic shoppers waiting to show their receipts, and no Walmart employees EVER stopped me. I even use my own re-usable zippered shopping bags. Nobody has any idea what's inside them. I walk right out the door, with a "Have a nice day!" from the greeter.

CD

I wonder how people scan produce in a self checkout. If they have to type in details then self checkout could be a fussy and lengthy process.

I wonder how people scan produce in a self checkout. If they have to type in details then self checkout could be a fussy and lengthy process.
Bar codes. You just scan the bar codes, unless it's veg. With veg, you look for the photo and click on it.

Back
Top Bottom