Supermarket self checkouts, not such a great idea after all?

What I’m really not looking forward to are the unmanned petrol pumps.

You don't have self-service fueling? We've had it since the 1970s in Texas. Most stations ONLY have self-service pumps. New Jersey is the only State left in the US that requires an attendant to pump gas. I hate buying gasoline in New Jersey, especially if the station is busy. It takes too long -- and all the attendants do is pump gas, which isn't "full-service" in my opinion.

CD

Believe it or not, the Grauniad used to be my go-to newspaper. I had a subscription in Venezuela well into the 90s. And then, I began to detect (IMO) a whingeing, whining, complaining, dystopian trend in their reporting. Articles became positively esoteric. Now it's very clear to me that anything that doesn't fit into their very left-wing view is criticised, pooh-poohed,belittled and generally dismissed.
Before firewalls, I read the whole gamut, from the Grauniad, the Times, The Telegraph and the Mail, just to get a good idea of what was going on.

You need FOXnews. They are Fair and Balanced, don't you know. They refer to Former President Trump as "President Trump," and President Biden as Joe Biden, or just Biden. :laugh:

Oh, and I'm sure shoplifting is something new to FOX, that is out of control now... but NEVER happened when Trump was running the country. :facepalm:

CD

She might mean completely unstaffed filling stations, no one on site in case you have some kind of issue. We ran into those in Ireland.

Ah, we do have some of those here, although it is usually just unstaffed after hours. The convenience store will be closed, but the pumps still work with a credit card.

CD

Yes what TR said.
Completely unstaffed.

If you need to fuel up and your card won’t work you’re stuffed. There‘s no-one there to take cash or verify you’re the card holder.
They don‘t have them in the UK yet (I’ve seen just one) but they account for almost every petrol station on a main route in France and are in the post to the UK 😑

It’s common to see foreign travellers stranded at them because their foreign card requires extra verification or simply doesn‘t work. They don’t know what to do, they have no fuel and can’t carry on to yet another unmanned station.

I took a group through France to Switzerland recently. I put in an email the things to be aware of riding wise with emphasis on a working payment card and a warning about the prepay system where the pump will take a full prepay of £100-£120 from your account if you use a debit card and refund you later, up to 10 days later but sometimes 6 weeks!!

On a motorbike with a small tank that can mean at least 4 fills a day and multiple days of that will wipe out some folks accounts.

Sure enough that happened to one person with me.
So I paid for their fuel but did not enjoy doing it.

10 days to 6 weeks to refund a prepay? Money grabbing so n so’s!!!!

The ‘Pay at pump’ I think CD refers to I find a boon, but no-one at all there for problem payments or you only have cash or you can’t afford £460 on 4 tiny tanks of fuel everyday, no thankyou.

Last edited:
Yes what TR said.
Completely unstaffed.

If you need to fuel up and your card won’t work you’re stuffed. There‘s no-one there to take cash or verify you’re the card holder.
They don‘t have them in the UK yet (I’ve seen just one) but they account for almost every petrol station on a main route in France and are in the post to the UK 😑

It’s common to see foreign travellers stranded at them because their foreign card requires extra verification or simply doesn‘t work. They don’t know what to do, they have no fuel and can’t carry on to yet another unmanned station.

I took a group through France to Switzerland recently. I put in an email the things to be aware of riding wise with emphasis on a working payment card and a warning about the prepay system where the pump will take a full prepay of £100-£120 from your account if you use a debit card and refund you later, up to 10 days later but sometimes 6 weeks!!

On a motorbike with a small tank that can mean at least 4 fills a day and multiple days of that will wipe out some folks accounts.

Sure enough that happened to one person with me.
So I paid for their fuel but did not enjoy doing it.

10 days to 6 weeks to refund a prepay? Money grabbing so n so’s!!!!

The ‘Pay at pump’ I think CD refers to I find a boon, but no-one at all there for problem payments or you only have cash or you can’t afford £460 on 4 tiny tanks of fuel everyday, no thankyou.

Most gas/petrol stations in the US are convenience stores with gas pumps. 7-Eleven is probably the biggest player. they are also open 24-hours. The gas pumps are just there to draw in customers for the convenience stores, where the big profit margins are. Fill your gas tank, and pick up a snack and a soft drink while you are there. Retail gasoline sales are low profit margin sales here, It's the ancillary sales in the convenience stores that make the money.

1700944509657.png

Back in my dad's day as an oil company executive, it was TBA (tires, batteries and accessories) that made the big money. But back then, gas stations had service bays (garages). those have been replaced by convenience stores.

CD

Most gas/petrol stations in the US are convenience stores with gas pumps. 7-Eleven is probably the biggest player. they are also open 24-hours. The gas pumps are just there to draw in customers for the convenience stores, where the big profit margins are. Fill your gas tank, and pick up a snack and a soft drink while you are there. Retail gasoline sales are low profit margin sales here, It's the ancillary sales in the convenience stores that make the money.

View attachment 107438

Back in my dad's day as an oil company executive, it was TBA (tires, batteries and accessories) that made the big money. But back then, gas stations had service bays (garages). those have been replaced by convenience stores.

CD
A lot of the same set up here and in France with supermarkets having petrol stations but in France the petrol stations stand alone with no staff like a cheap add on.
Which when you consider how much a full tank of fuel for a car costs (here and in the EU) its a large purchase!

It’s common to see foreign travellers stranded at them because their foreign card requires extra verification or simply doesn‘t work.
We’ve been around a fair part of Western and Central Europe, other parts of the world for MrsT, and the only place we’ve ever, ever had an issue using an American credit/debit card was Ireland.

ATMs would reject it, restaurants, shops, lodgings, they’d fail a good 50% of the time. We’d heard ahead of time about the fuel stops, so we avoided those, but did get trapped in a parking garage! :laugh:

. . . issues with (American) cards . . .
been there, got thumped. since learned . . . .
Europe has commercial banks and Europe has "other" aka akin to credit unions and savings&loan "banks"

using "big name" aka commercial bank ATM points, I could withdraw (local) cash from my USA bank savings account.
using "similar" but not commercial financial institutions for ATM withdrawal - big problems . . .
most merchants are ambi-creditcardish . . . but not necessarily ambi-debitish

I'm going to gambia next January and they accept cash only in most places. When somebody's experienced with Africa please tell me, I've googled around and could find some general infos about vaccines, sun cream etc. But how do you behave with poor people that are lovely as sugar but you don't have much to give back?

I'm going to gambia next January and they accept cash only in most places. When somebody's experienced with Africa please tell me, I've googled around and could find some general infos about vaccines, sun cream etc. But how do you behave with poor people that are lovely as sugar but you don't have much to give back?
go to any local Gemeinde, order a beer and a sausage, try to pay with plastic.
does not work, except in ueber large cities where no one carries cash . . .

But how do you behave with poor people that are lovely as sugar but you don't have much to give back?

I’m yet to motorcycle Africa but I certainly will be! I do have experience of travel in developing countries though which might be useful for you.

Most long distance motorcyclists carry things like sweets, biro’s or stickers (often with their travelling logo printed on them) to give away to people, these things always go down very well.
Some carry miniatures of alcohol for situations that are up a notch like a meal offered by locals that don’t have much.

One guy I know actually carries a miniature photo printer, takes a pic of them together and hands a physical pic over, that by all accounts is the largest bringer of joy. He’s not the only one doing that.

I’ve always gone for toffees as they last in the heat but next time I go to a developing country I’d also consider a mini photo printer!
Giving money is sometimes viewed as an insult so it’s something I avoid. Although kids love money and I don’t like carrying much change so that works.

Below are some slightly negative sounding things that I would feel remiss not mentioning but also please don’t focus greatly on this stuff, it’s mostly just prep for rare occurrences.

Health and Welfare bits n bobs
Sometimes you’re in a place where people are not as lovely as sugar.
It’s important if you’re in an area where you feel swarmed (that tends to happen if you’re on a motorbike) or perhaps in a touristy place with forceful fixer uppers (who are well versed in getting people to hand over money) that you’re able to be a bit forceful. Not horrible, just firm.
Say you’re not enjoying an interaction or you were but it’s becoming a bit much it’s fine to say something like -
“Ok, that’s enough, you go on now, leave me in peace”
and make a shoo motion with your hand.

I doubt you’re going to any bad areas but sometimes carrying a muggers wallet is useful.
This is a second purse containing nothing of real value, a supermarket loyalty card, seeded with low value dollars and a few coins for you to hand over without a fight.
Dollars are king but sterling and euros are also wanted in most developing countries. Someone I know has a second fake drivers licence which they actually ended up using when a fake policeman demanded ID and wouldn’t return it until she paid a fine! She smiled and rode off 😆

Split your resources ie don’t keep all your valuables in one bag and when paying don’t open your wallet to reveal a lot of money.
If you sit down at a café and your bag/rucksack etc has to go on the floor make sure your leg or chair leg is going through a strap and if a kerfuffle unfolds in front of you that would draw you in (I’m told someone choking on some food is the usual bait) pick your bag up and take it with you to investigate ie never leave it unattended, not even for a moment.
This above is mostly city stuff.

Water-
Even in countries were the water is deemed safe to drink it isn’t always especially if it’s come from boreholes so don’t assume the water is safe, check.
A physical filtering bottle will give you protection from most of the real nasties, remember to use that to clean your teeth too. Link to the sort of thing I’m talking about below.
If you go down the bottled water route only purchase this from legitimate sources and check the seal is intact. Same with sunscreen and any container which can be collected from bins and refilled with something else.

If going to an area that suffers drought avoid salads and uncooked foods. Wash fruit in water you know to be clean.
The ‘water’ used to grow crops in places where there are water shortages is not clean water and is unlikely to even be washed in potable water, less said about that the better.
In good hotels the salads often have chlorine taste which is good for avoiding somethings 💩 but can be terrible from a taste point of view!

Vaccines, absolutely lifesavingly essential. The anti-vaxers can do one this topic, get them.
Travel insurance, make sure it covers repatriation not just treatment in the country you’re visiting. Medical treatment in the EU is superior to developing countries, if you are unfortunate and for example need a broken leg fixed, get yourself home, German medicine is a much better bet.

Dig out the actually phone number you’d call from the insurance and store this in your phone AND write it down. Carry a copy of your insurance. Most developing countries will give treatment without any quibble but some won’t without seeing you’re insured and their payment is guaranteed. That’s a worldwide phenomenon!

A VPN.
Not essential but suddenly very desirable when you want to access your bank account. Hotel WiFi and other free WiFi sometimes comes at a very high cost!

Get a local SIM card. This depends how long you’re staying for and what your current contract will cost you to use outside the EU. Generally it is MUCH MUCH cheaper to purchase a SIM card locally.
Get the hotel staff to help with this, they always know the best place to go and will help you navigate to the safest spots for purchasing.

I always carry a second phone which may seem excessive but I rely on it for navigation when walking, banking and need to keep my home number working for business. A back up phone is a luxury but a useful one. At a pinch if your normal EU SIM card is stored somewhere safe the worse that could happen is you simply buy another phone and insert your usual sim.

Carry tissues on you. Toilet paper is often missing from loos and remember to breath through your mouth 😂
The toilets vary from what we understand as a toilet to a hole in the ground but even if it is a Western style loo they may not be connected to water so won’t flush.
Alcohol hand sanitiser is very useful. I use a spray bottle with isopropyl alcohol.

Electricity. I don’t know where you’re staying, I suspect somewhere set up for westerners but some remote areas don’t have electricity or if they do because it’s a precious commodity will have it on for very short periods and switch it off at night so a good quality battery pack is very useful, as is a solar charger.
Solar lamps are good too. Using your phone as a torch because everything is unlit is another drain on the battery.

Mostly I’ve had nothing but a delightful time with lovely friendly people but going away prepared is sensible.
The way life works knowing and sorting these things beforehand ensures you’ll not need them and will have a beautiful time. To me travelling is worth prepping for because you get so much from it and are able to relax when certain things are in place.

People who have travelled enough to realise we’re all fundamentally the same regardless of whatever crazy political ideologies are dominating at the time are a delight to be around.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B09SBN5QMM?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

Last edited:
My best friend the dishwasher who came from Gambia to make career invited me and he already gave me a few tipps but I'm a paranoid person when it comes to situations I've not experienced that much.

Thank you very much for all the tipps and tricks 😊 👍

Back
Top Bottom