Recipe Sweet Potato and Black Bean Chilli with Chipotle in Adobo and Coffee

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
3:18 PM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
For weird combinations that work this definitely qualifies.
As with all chilli recipes, this is one where you'll want to adjust the chilli quantity according to your tastes. I like my chilli hot, and the quantities used reflect this. If you need to store coconut milk, you can decant it into smaller containers and freeze it. I just then add the frozen coconut milk as I need it. Coconut milk, like sour cream or yoghurt (dairy versions not the vegan options) takes the heat out of chilli if you find it too hot for your tastes.

Serves 6

Ingredients
2 cups dried black beans, soaked overnight.
1tbsp canola or sunflower oil
1 very large sweet potato or 2 large ones, diced
1 large onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1-2 tbsp hot chilli powder
4 tsp ground cumin
1-2 tbsp chipotle in adobo
500ml beans cooking water or veg stock
1 tin diced tomatoes
2 tbsp coffee powder/granules
1/8 - 1/4 tin of coconut milk
Juice of 1 lime
½ cup chopped fresh coriander

Method
  1. Cook the black beans as per instructions. Drain and retain the cooking water because you can use this to add more flavour to the chilli.
  2. In a large casserole pan, heat the oil and add both the sweet potato and the chopped onion. Stir well and cook until the onion starts to soften.
  3. Add the minced garlic, ground cumin, chilli powder and chipotle in adobo and stir in well. Cook for around a minute or two then add the retained cooking water (500ml) or veg stock of using, the tinned tomatoes, the cooked black beans and the coffee powder. You need to ensure that all veg is covered with the stock, so add more veg stock or bean cooking water as needed.
  4. Stir in the coconut milk.
  5. Bring back to the boil and simmer until the sauce thickens and becomes glossy.
  6. Add the lime juice and chopped coriander just before serving over rice.
DSC_3898.JPG DSC_3916.JPG DSC_3920.JPG

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom